CrazyBoards.org

Hello world

Hi. I'm a conglomeration of atoms. Im quite a loner, pretty intelligent. I'm 30 something and have suffered from anxiety and depression probably since I was a kid. Shit sucks! I'm a physicalist, I think life was a horrific accident. Not a healthy worldview, but if life is a magic trick, I've seen how it's done and it's lost it's magic. Anyway, howdy and glad to be a new member.

Welcome atomicblob. Must admit, I really like your user name. Heh. Sorry to hear about the anxeity, depression, and negative world view, but hey, welcome to the site. we also have blogs and chat if you want to check them out. And read the user agreement, if you haven't already.

Wecome to cb!

Anna

Hello and welcome from another concatenation of circumstances.

(still trying to decide if there is something in "emergent properties" or if that is just one more trick with mirrors.)

We are stardust.

Or waste spiilled from failed nuclear reactors.

Quite a bit hangs on phrasing, sometimes.

Chris.

Hello and welcome from another concatenation of circumstances.

(still trying to decide if there is something in "emergent properties" or if that is just one more trick with mirrors.)

We are stardust.

Or waste spiilled from failed nuclear reactors.

Quite a bit hangs on phrasing, sometimes.

Chris.

:) cool, I never thought of myself as nuclear waste, that much more fits my worldview (oh and I can gonup to people important to me and say "did it ever occur to you that you are nuclear waste?"). I read "I am a strange loop" and I'm pretty sure the emergent properties are a "mirror trick". I think existentialism is universal. If there is a God, he's wondering why the fuck he exists.

Thanks for the welcome, and also to Anna and Olga. I hate coming up with usernames, so I always use the same one everywhere, but to protect my anonymity I had to come up with something origional for the crazyboards (how can you not like a forum with a name like that?) I look forward to interacting with other atomic blobs in a way that is kind, playful, and also I can't wait to find out what the key to eternal happiness is! That is on here right? :-p

:) cool, I never thought of myself as nuclear waste, that much more fits my worldview

Thank Fred Hoyle for pointing out where all the heavy elements come from

I read "I am a strange loop" and I'm pretty sure the emergent properties are a "mirror trick". I think existentialism is universal. If there is a God, he's wondering why the fuck he exists...

I look forward to interacting with other atomic blobs in a way that is kind, playful, and also I can't wait to find out what the key to eternal happiness is! That is on here right? :-p

If you have not got to it already, you might find Keith Stanovich's "The Robot's Rebellion: finding meaning in the age of Darwin" a worthwhile read.

And yes, we do have the key to eternal happiness. If you should ever find out where the lock is...

Chris.

If you have not got to it already, you might find Keith Stanovich's "The Robot's Rebellion: finding meaning in the age of Darwin" a worthwhile read.

Chris.

How interesting! I had never heard of this book, but the Amazon summary mentioned "The Selfish Gene". And I must say that book really depressed me. I mean I think that is where I really understood that as far as what reality really is, I am just a bag of protoplasm. So I may definitely benefit from a response to that book. And I'll just throw this out there, Ernest Becker's "Denial of Death" was really depressing too. It just about crushed the possibility of my life ever having any meaning, granted it doesn't have that effect on everyone, maybe I should not have read it 6 times! mellow.gif

--Edit-- And it's on Kindle so I can read it now! Aah, instant gratification! tongue.gif

I think that is where I really understood that as far as what reality really is, I am just a bag of protoplasm.

That's where I would part company with you. The word "just"

A car is "just" a collection of inanimate objects. No "motion" can be found however carefully you examine it's components.

In fact the finer the detailed examination, the less clue or evidence there is.

But here there most decidedly is an emergent property. Vrooom!

The more subtle and argued one is about finding "art" or "beauty" in the components of a painting.

Terry Pratchett has an aside on that in "The Thief of Time."

You could still be right about meaninglessness, but I'm not inclined to let that "just" slip through without examination..

And if we are "just" living things, well, I have other thoughts on that which stop short of nihilism.

Archived