CrazyBoards.org

Actually it was an extract used in a clinical placebo controlled trial. The first one ever for chamomile extract suggests some definitive anxiety reduction reported here:

http://journals.lww....trolled.13.aspx

And depressive symtoms in a follow-up reported here:

http://imn.gcnpublishing.com/fileadmin/content_pdf/imn/archive_pdf/vol43iss8/70438_main.pdf

nice. i didn't click on the studies but i know i drink the hell out of chamomile tea when i'm tapering benzos... Anna

this study seemed pretty well done. they even used a similiar tasting placebo and they disclosed their financial sources and none had ties to the tea industry.

So I went out and picked up a box of celestial seasonings, figure it can't hurt and it tastes good-

Anna do you mind telling us what brand you use?

Thanks-Colin

I drink it heaps when I have a cold. I swear it helps! I am very skeptical of herbs etc so I dont think it's the placebo effect.

How many cups did they drink in the study?

They took capsules of an extract of the tea. I suppose with a placebo they had to do it this way.

Colin

They took capsules of an extract of the tea. I suppose with a placebo they had to do it this way.

It also might help to standardize the dose given, if the study has a target compound in mind,

and to separate out medicinal effects from the calming act of preparing and drinking tea.

Oddly enough, even though (I think) it's generally regarded as safe, chamomile tears my stomach up.

It also might help to standardize the dose given, if the study has a target compound in mind,

and to separate out medicinal effects from the calming act of preparing and drinking tea.

Oddly enough, even though (I think) it's generally regarded as safe, chamomile tears my stomach up.

FINALLY I can come out!! I thought I was the only one. null0trooper - I have the same reaction to chamomile tea...before i was medicated and now. It always makes me feel a little sick to my stomach.

db

There is some evidence the polyphenol apigenin influences benzo recptors-makes them more receptive to gaba. benzos themselves are not so unnatural really because certain natural substances mimick them but in a much weaker fashion of course. Anyway chamomile is loaded with apigenin which is also being studied as an anti-cancer polyphenol. Other sources of apigenin are celery and parsley.

There is also the question I have which is "does chamomile take time to work or is it immediate" the study went 8 weeks as I recall from reading it. I cannot say I have noticed any significant effect. I have been drinking 3 cups a day now for several days. Maybe I need more :) .

Colin

Archived