CrazyBoards.org

Side Effects and antipsychotics

I'm just wondering how many of the other posters on this board have a hard time with side effects. And how you convince yourself to stay on the meds. I'm hoping other people's experiences will help me endure the side effects I'm stuck with.

I am on a med combo of 600 Seroquel, and 100 Solian; it leaves me feeling really sedated, sleeping up to 13 hours a night, and waking up sore and drugged. I hate it! I tried reducing the seroquel, then the solian, and in both instances I felt psychotic and thought the TV was talking to me, and had no choice but to crawl back to the sedating combo. I have tried all the available AP's and these are the two that work. I will try Latuda, Saphris, etc when they are available here in April.

When I dropped the 100mg Solian, the sedation went away, I was up and about at 7am rather than 12pm. BUT I had horrible symptoms of psychosis.

So now I have to accept that this sedation is worth it, in order for me to be sane. I HATE IT! Why can't antipsychotics have reasonable side effects?!?! Anyone?

What do you, personally, have to endure in order to be sane? Do you think its worth bearing the side effects, whether they be weight gain, oversleeping, drooling, or whatever you endure?

I hope your responses to this thread will help me accept the sedation and appreciate that it's worth it for the sanity.

Are others stuck between craziness and med-induced suffering?

At this point, the only side effect I'm still contending with is minimal weight stuff - not really weight gain, but ridiculous difficulty losing weight. Seroquel does such a good job of stabilizing my moods, it's worth dealing with the weight gain.

All the same, I have an appointment to talk to my pdoc about Saphris, Monday morning.

Why can't antipsychotics have reasonable side effects?!?! Anyone?

The way I see it, antipsychotics are the heavy duty shit, so they're going to have heavy duty side effects.

What do you, personally, have to endure in order to be sane?

Just having to take multiple pills, multiple times a day. It's medicine and it reminds me I'm defective. Dry mouth, stomach upsets and feeling sleepy/tired, stuffy nose and shaking hands are my only SE's I notice.

I don't think Seroquel alone causes the shaking hands but it has made them worse. I've started Inderal for that which helps.

Do you think its worth bearing the side effects, whether they be weight gain, oversleeping, drooling, or whatever you endure?

I do to an extent. It's risk v benefit. If Seroquel made me overweight, I would drop it straight away yet... If I had psychosis and no other meds worked.. I'd just have to try to manage that side effect with dietician, personal trainer, weight loss drugs, whatever. Oversleeping... It's not the end of the world. If I'm off meds and depressed I sleep 12+ hours a night anyway and spend the rest of my day in bed. I brush and floss religiously and get a professional clean as often as I can. I spray this artificial saliva stuff in my mouth, chew gum and sip water a lot. I'm scared all these meds will fuck up my teeth but.. I just can't handle being nuts. I'll end up in hospital a few times a year.. Maybe kill myself, definitely do a shitload of drugs and achieve nothing. IDK.. I'm willing to do anything to avoid the pain in the dark of depression and the chaos of hypomania. The side effects don't seem like a big deal compared to the illness.

The posts are awesome so far. We need more!

McJimJam, your reply made me feel less sorry for myself - yes, they are hardcore drugs, but you just have to deal, your side effects don't sound the best either. Like you, I will endure this crap cause psychosis is worse than feeling physically like death warmed up. But I do feel my side effects at the moment are unreasonable. I even got angry today because other diseases don't have to put up with such comprimising meds, I don't think! I could be wrong. But, like, isn't schizophrenia enough?!?! Why do we also have to become fat and sedated? Lol sorry but I am not in a good space about meds at the moment :wall:

Saphris sounds like it could be good when we can get it here! The Seroquel XR unfortunately gave me akathisia, so can't take that. Bring on Saphris and Latuda.

I get a fine hand tremor from Abilify of which 20 mgs propranolol totally stops. Given how well Abilify works and all it takes is old tried and true propranolol to totally make it stop I feel it is a reasonable to use annother med to counter this Abilify side effect

nf

Guest Vapourware

I'm another who's having problem with sedation. Just today I had to drive this morning and I was literally falling asleep at the wheel driving down the freeway. I didn't really have an option though, I had to go home. I started off being awake but by the time I realised I was still being sedated it was a bit late.

Ziprasidone messes with my sleep - it either sedates me or it gives me insomnia, then morning sedation. I can't predict what will happen when I take it. The latter is more prevalent nowadays and it's frustrating because there are times when I do need to get up early in the morning to do things [like work]. Due to the potential for random sedation, I feel like I'm at the mercy of this drug. I don't know when it'll sedate me.

I'm a little afraid of trying anything else because ziprasidone has worked for me in controlling my symptoms but I'd like some of my life back. I just want to take a pill at night and be able to get on with my day in the morning. That would be great.

I didn't realise Saphris would be available here in April. It seems like a promising AP and I might be interested if I decide to switch.

@Pamito: Interestingly enough, my pdoc suggested Solian for me as an alternative to ziprasidone, if I did decide to switch.

Wow Vapourware, Zeldox / Geodon didn't sedate me, but the randomness of it that you're experiencing sounds horrible! I guess at least it controls your illness, but still, not fun stuff.

Solian was pretty good on its own, not sedating in my experience but the akathisia and the lactating / amenorrhea sucked when I was on Solian 400. So yeah, it's funny, like you have to trade one med's shitty side effects for another med's different but equally shitty side effects! Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Regarding my side-effect hell: Today I woke up at 6am! I decided I would take all my seroquel at night and none on waking to see if that stopped the oversleeping. Cause I would go back to bed for 5 hours immediately after opening my eyes and throwing down 200mg of Sero. Hopefully that wasn't just a flash in the pan.

I still get bad tachycardia from a dose of Seroquel but if I can stop the oversleeping then it' a big improvement. Oh, and the lactating lol. I wish that would go :(

Guest Vapourware

Yes, the lactation and the amenorrhea are part of what makes me wary about trying Solian. My cycles are already a bit out, so I don't want something that really messes with it. Plus I suspect that I would get the sedation, just because I get the sedation effect with every AP that I've tried. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm going to do. My pdoc was talking about splitting the dosages of ziprasidone up but I don't know if that will prevent the sedation.

It sucks to have to trade all these side effects for stability, and there are times when it's very frustrating. I sometimes remind myself of why I'm taking these tablets by doing a cost/benefit analysis. I guess for me, all things considered, ziprasidone is not too bad because at least I am functioning.

I'm telling you saphris is... try it. Especially if it's sedation that's getting you.

That being said, some people seem to find saphris sedating, but THOSE people have never been on seroquel. I find saphris not sedating at ALL. I took my first dose ever at 9 a.m. in the morning and was totally fine the whole day.

Anna

I could actually put up with the weight gain...I do remember cutting because of it actually, but in the back of my mind it was worth it. I could handle the sedation too, once I started taking it at night. Things like akathesia that I got with Abilify or Geodon or Risperdal or Saphris were inexcusable but cogentin helped with all of those but Abilify. It was the cognitive blunting that made me quit them all. I cannot stand to be stupid and find no pleasure in anything...

I'm telling you saphris is... try it. Especially if it's sedation that's getting you.

That being said, some people seem to find saphris sedating, but THOSE people have never been on seroquel. I find saphris not sedating at ALL. I took my first dose ever at 9 a.m. in the morning and was totally fine the whole day.

Anna

Interesting. I actually DID find Saphris sedating even though I've been on Seroquel, but only temporarily you know? Like Saphris would knock me out in 15 minutes when I'd take it but 2 hours later I'd be wide awake.

Why can't antipsychotics have reasonable side effects?!?! Anyone?

The way I see it, antipsychotics are the heavy duty shit, so they're going to have heavy duty side effects.

What do you, personally, have to endure in order to be sane?

Just having to take multiple pills, multiple times a day. It's medicine and it reminds me I'm defective. Dry mouth, stomach upsets and feeling sleepy/tired, stuffy nose and shaking hands are my only SE's I notice.

I don't think Seroquel alone causes the shaking hands but it has made them worse. I've started Inderal for that which helps.

Do you think its worth bearing the side effects, whether they be weight gain, oversleeping, drooling, or whatever you endure?

I do to an extent. It's risk v benefit. If Seroquel made me overweight, I would drop it straight away yet... If I had psychosis and no other meds worked.. I'd just have to try to manage that side effect with dietician, personal trainer, weight loss drugs, whatever. Oversleeping... It's not the end of the world. If I'm off meds and depressed I sleep 12+ hours a night anyway and spend the rest of my day in bed. I brush and floss religiously and get a professional clean as often as I can. I spray this artificial saliva stuff in my mouth, chew gum and sip water a lot. I'm scared all these meds will fuck up my teeth but.. I just can't handle being nuts. I'll end up in hospital a few times a year.. Maybe kill myself, definitely do a shitload of drugs and achieve nothing. IDK.. I'm willing to do anything to avoid the pain in the dark of depression and the chaos of hypomania. The side effects don't seem like a big deal compared to the illness.

I don't really think AAP's are implicitly any more, "heavy duty shit," than any other med.

I have to agree with SS, I don't consider my AAPs to be any more "heavy duty' than my depakote, say. I mean, dep. is the one that gives me the most trouble, the most physical side effects, and the most difficulties in many areas.

ssris carry their own set of risks/benefits.

It's all a matter of what med works for you with what s.e.'s and what you can live with. For some people, the sexual side effects of SSRIs are absolute deal breakers, for example.

They all do shit in the brain/body and are all "heavy duty" in that respect...

Anna

I am on Abilify 10mg. When I first started on it, it gave me a fast heart beat over 100. So they had to cut it down to 5mg. And we stayed on that dose for a couple of months and the heart rate stayed around 96bpm. Then my heart rate back to normal for some odd reason so we upped the dose back to 10mg. I'm also finding it hard to sleep on this med. I can't wait till Saphris comes out in the UK. God knows when but I know it's been licensed for use here :rolleyes:

I have taken 10mg Zyprexa pretty much consistently for the last 4 years and I endure

1. Sleeping too much (like 11/12 hours a night)

2. Weight gain without overeating

3. What I consider slight man-boobs

EDIT: They are definitely more than "Slight" man-boobs haha. I certainly think I have bigger breasts than some skinny females, and it isn't related to being slightly overweight.

I take Seroquel XR even though I hate that I can't seem to lose weight. I gained a LOT of weight while on Zyprexa, and although I lost some while on Risperdal last year, being on Seroquel now seems to have stopped that. I just don't understand how my body can hang on to weight that theoretically should be going away... metabolism, blah blah blah. It sucks.

Side effects suck. But not as much as crazy sucks, I guess.

Archived