CrazyBoards.org

My depression is perpetuated by a fear of fear.

My "loop" of worry and consequencial depression is based upon a perceived lack of control over my anxiety/state of mind. I don't know how to deal with this. With other worries... they can often be avoided... you can leave them at work or outside of the house.... but my worry is a fear of getting caught in a worry loop.

I might think, "oh no, if i'm not in control of my own fear... then I could fear not being in control... and then worry some more.. and then worry that I can't stop worrying.. oh and now I'm worried!" and then I'll be in the loop. I sometimes overcome the anxiety by realising that there is no loop. I imagine the loop..... although in a way, by imagining it.. i make it real. So it is kind of a choice. I don't really know how I change my perspective but I just sometimes do... and the loop fades away.

Anyone else have this problem? It's kind of a paradox. By believing in a lack of control... i make it so... and vice versa. The problem is making myself believe that I have control. It's absurd. Any advice?

Therapy combined with medication was my salvation. Therapy is, at least very often, the key to finding ways to manage anxiety and, in my experience, depression feeds of anxiety and anxiety feeds off of depression.

IIRC, you are being treated with meds, but do not have a Pdoc, right? Are you seeing a Tdoc?

Maybe mindfulness, and just letting it be will help (easier said than done I know). A couple of thoughts that help me are it's okay to feel how I am feeling and this too shall pass.

I think you're on the right track when you realize that it's all in your imagination. I don't think it actually becomes real. I think it's always just in your head.

And I'll echo Indigo, therapy and medications would probably be a good idea.

Vinny

Archived