CrazyBoards.org

so i've only mentioned it to my pdoc once, which is why he can't tell if it's "reality testing" or dissociation, both of which i apparently can lean to.

there are moments, typically not in a particular mood state (coming down off one, right before one, but sometimes whenever) when i experience a number of strange symptoms, but the one i'm asking about it this:

sometimes i can't distinguish between what i'm watching/hearing about/reading and what's really going on around me. kind of like when you wake up from a dream and can't tell where you are, if the dream's real or the real's real, until you wake up fully then go "ah hah!" it's like that. it doesn't always happen right when i'm reading/etc. something either. my mind might come back to it later. like i'll watch a show with a birthday party in it and later be like "oh i need to go to that party" then i'll be like "wait.... tricky, tricky show..." i just can't distinguish where the line is drawn. this will occur in short bursts in clusters or sometimes just one longer moment.

it also kind of feels like random times when i have other weird things like the time when i was standing at the kitchen table with my husband and my cat jumped up and my brain went: "wait, what's that thing? a cat? a cat! where'd that come from? who has a cat? i have a cat? it's new. aw, a new cat! no... it's been around a while? ah yes, my cat. her name? no! wait! that is my cat and her name is emi!"

things like that happen to me a lot.

Guest Vapourware

It sounds like disassociation to me? Mainly from the description of the experience with the cat. What has your pdoc suggested to help with those episodes?

The thing with your cat sounds to me like jamais vue, which can be caused by, among other things, temporal or parietal lobe epilepsy. The sense of unreality thing you're describing can also be a temporal lobe thing. Considering that none of what you're talking about happens during mood episodes, you might want to consider seeing a neurologist, just to make sure all is well.

Archived