CrazyBoards.org

Posted Today, 08:37 PM

I'm bipolar, currently on no meds. I didn't think I needed them because I didn't realize I was bipolar until about six months ago (I'm 26). I recently moved to a new area. Due to past issues with substance abuse, I have to see a psychiatrist trained in addiction issues as well. Unfortunately, I cannot get in for another week and a half. So, how do I ask a doctor who hasn't even seen me yet that I need to see him now? I don't want him to drop me. Do you think this will go away with time or get worse? I just want to feel normal.

If you have a set appointment to see this doctor, I would call his/her office and explain the situation, and see if you can have your appointment moved closer.

If you don't have an appointment yet, I don't know what options are out there.

He's not going to drop you because you're asking for help. Definitely call him, and ask.

Why does your history mean you *have to* see someone with addiction training? I get that it would be ideal, but is it really an absolute requirement?

I would call you're new shrink and just make it clear that it's urgent. If he can't squeeze you in I'm sure he can recommend something to do in the interim. When I was freaking out I called my psychiatrist and said she could arrange for me to be admitted to the private psych hosp. where she had her office, as a voluntary patient. I didn't have insurance so I couldn't do it. Do you have good insurence?

Guest Vapourware

I agree with the others, give your pdoc a call, let them know of your situation and see if they can see you sooner. My pdoc slots me whenever I need an urgent appointment. They won't drop you because you need help. Meds will help you stabilise and make you feel more normal so it's good that you know that you need them.

Archived