CrazyBoards.org

treating boarderline personality

DBT is really the only treatment found to have consistent efficacy in treating borderline. Yes, it probably is hard to put into practice, but getting better is usually hard work. That's just how it is. At some point, maybe you"ll find living with borderline harder than putting DBT into practice, and give it another try.

DBT is the best known treatment, and yes it's really damn hard. I'm not BPD, but nothing about any of this MI stuff or recovering from it is the least bit easy. It's really fucking hard but you do it anyway because you don't want to die. Accept the fact that this shit has fairly large chance of leading to an early death, let that scare the shit out of you for a while, and see if it makes things any easier. Fight for your life because that's what is at risk.

You could try schema. But that's hard work too, and a considerably longer process than DBT. 'Tis a bit more warm and fuzzy, though.

DBT is not remotely easy. I'm going through it right now. But it makes sense to me, so I stick with it.

If you want, can you try to focus on one skill per week or something like that, until you master the skill? Perhaps maybe a skill your struggling with right now.

I'm still working on GETTING DBT so I can't comment on that side of it. wall.gif

It depends on why DBT isn't working for you. There's no easy solution to BPD - it's not your fault that you've got it, but it's your responsibility to work your ass off to get out of it, if you ever want to be free. Sucks, but there it is.

I'm not cured by any means, and some days are worse than others, but regular old talk therapy has definitely improved my condition. Specifically, my ability to tolerate imperfection in attachment figures and my ability to tolerate distressing feelings without totally coming unglued.

Anyway, it's hard to give advice without knowing what it was specifically about DBT that didn't work for you.

Yes, DBT is hard (I am taking a training in it right now, am not bpd and find the skills HARD though satisfying...) sticking with it might be good.

Id' suggest, if you really cannot tolerate it, a really good relationship with a therapist who specializes in DBT who can work with you 1:1 if it was teh group format that did not work for you. Not sure. But, there are other ways to recover.

None of them are easy, recovery from BPD is just hard. Period.

Have you tried DBT more than once? Maybe you just weren't ready yet. LIke tryp sys, though, its' hard to help not knowing exaxtly what did not work for you. And how much effort you really threw into the thereapy itself.

Anna

Archived