CrazyBoards.org

Instant vs. Time Release

Hey everyone.

Just a curiosity of mine - do you find that instant release or long lasting medication works best for you? If so, why?

I've heard time and time again that long-lasting is always better, because it's steadier and doesn't have "peaks", etc, but in my case I've been on Vyvanse, which lasts long as hell for me, probably around 12 hours, but only about half of that time is taken up by the positive effects, like focusing, etc, and the rest is either pre-crash, crash, or zombie state insomnia. And the insomnia is intense - I'll set an alarm wayyy before I even have to get up just to take the pill as early as possible, but even then somehow I won't be able to sleep until very late. So I've been wondering if I should switch to instant release, mostly due to the insomnia, really.

Anyways, what about you guys?

Edit: Ooh, this may belong in the meds section >.>.

So far, I can't tolerate either IR or extended release because I am too crash sensitive. I do think it depends more on the drug than the formulation. I found Focalin way less crashy than Ritalin for example, even when comparing IR versions. I haven't tried Vyvanse yet, but I think my next trial will actually be Strattera since I can't tolerate crash effects and rebound at all.

I have a much, much better time with the extended release versions of things, especially methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, etc.). The immediate release is brutal for me. It kicks in really suddenly, and then a short time later it's like the bottom drops out of my brain equally suddenly. It's very unpleasant and makes me feel worse than taking nothing at all. The extended release form of the exact same med is much less harsh, and I stretch it out even further by splitting it into two doses a few hours apart, which gives me better coverage throughout the time I'm awake and a gentler experience both in the morning and evening. It's not quite as extreme for me with other stims, because they seem to last a bit longer to begin with (I seriously get at most an hour out of IR methylphenidate: 30-45 minutes before it really starts working, then 45-60 minutes of it actually doing something, and then an abrupt fall off a cliff that reaches the absolute bottom after another 60-90 minutes), but it still helps me.

I do a lot better on extended release stuff. For me, the whole crashy thing is infinitely worse on IR's.

One option you might want to raise with your pdoc is dividing your dosage. Taking part in the morning, and part around midday can help a lot with evening things out.

Hey everyone.

Just a curiosity of mine - do you find that instant release or long lasting medication works best for you? If so, why?

My liver and kidneys work just fine, most of the time, so too many extended-release meds aren't so extended. Instead, I'm on split-dose scheduling in combination with a reuptake inhibitor (which itself is split dose because it jacks my blood pressure up a bit too much if I take it all at once, and then it still washes out early anyway)

And, of course, if I screw up my schedule and/or don't get enough proper sleep, they can become sleeping pills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did much better on Adderall XR than I am doing on the same Adderall IR I took 15 years ago when there was no XR. However, it's all my insurance company will pay for, and it's better than nothing. Oh and catnapper, the SR is more intermediate release than extended release. The figure I saw was 3-8hrs, and I seem to remember about 6hrs from when I took it long ago.

When I was taking IR Methelphenidate, I was staggering 5 doses every 90 minutes to 2 hours to keep things even. If I was late on a dose it could ruin my whole day.

As it is I stagger my Dexidrine spansules, splitting my first 30mg dose taking 2 15 mg capsules an hour apart and the same with my second dose just to keep things smooth.

Archived