CrazyBoards.org

Looking for...um...something

Hello! I am glad to have found y'all. I'm in my late 30s and was recently diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and compulsions (primarily skin picking). It's odd, but I thought that I'd suffered from depression since I was a child...until I got a real taste of depression for the past year and a half. I tried Lexapro several years ago (left me feeling oddly disconnected from the world and very sweaty), and then tried Pristiq year before last (which had no effect on me). I found a new doctor who took the time with me to figure out what was really wrong, and it turns out it's been mostly anxiety all along. In hindsight it's insanely obvious. Anyway, I've been on Prozac for two months, slowly increasing the dosage, and while it's knocked out the depression amazingly well, it's making the anxiety worse, at least the first few weeks of going up a dose. Today is one of those days where my mind is racing, my hands are shaking, and it's all I can do to write a few sentences before my mind goes elsewhere.

I'm here to talk about coping strategies and meds. I'm also always open to advice about handling my crazy family (in just immediate family, we have two people with depression and anxiety similar to mine, one with severe panic attacks and anxiety plus nasty personality disorders, one who is bipolar, and one who is an honest-to-god sociopath.)

I'm looking forward to getting involved in the forums and getting to you some of y'all. Thanks!

Hi! Yeah, I was a sad little girl, too. But depression kicked my ass.

I was diagnosed as bipolar over 20 years ago, but my new(ish) p-doc finally decided I was also just generally anxious, and put me on Xanax almost 5 years ago, and I feel so much better.

Also, hang in there, a lot of meds make you feel worse temporarily before you feel better. I am pretty sure SSRIs are often used to treat anxiety, but someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Hi! Yeah, I was a sad little girl, too. But depression kicked my ass.

I was diagnosed as bipolar over 20 years ago, but my new(ish) p-doc finally decided I was also just generally anxious, and put me on Xanax almost 5 years ago, and I feel so much better.

Also, hang in there, a lot of meds make you feel worse temporarily before you feel better. I am pretty sure SSRIs are often used to treat anxiety, but someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks, crtclms. Yeah, depression kicked my ass, too. I had always gotten through life just fine with all my crossed wiring until the depression hit. I had no idea what Real Depression was like until it bitch-slapped me into submission.

Prozac is used to treat a bunch of stuff. My doc said that it should knock out my depression at 20 mg (which it did) but that for anxiety and compulsions, she'd probably give me 60 to 80, and she has patients taking 100. I just bumped up from 20 to 40 two weeks ago, and she said to give it a month...I'm just starting to get panicky that it's not going to work and that I'm going to have to go off Prozac and start all over with something else. Hard to imagine why I'd be panicky when the meds are making me super-anxious... :)

welcome to CB storm!

this board is an amazing support system. it really helps with the craziness of life in general of a crazy person. and i think support and information is what we go for here. it sounds like youve got a lot on your plate, and are questioning things now. thats what happened to be when i was first diagnosed. i questioned. and i still do. but the deal is to not fret on it, because the past is the past. and it can only stay there as it lays. i think youll like it here. and i hope you do, and stick around.

but again, welcome :)

ETA and storm, where are you from? i was wondering because of the yall. im from the south so i was thinking youre somewhere south?

Thanks, Mackie! I am trying to sort out a lot of things all at once, and it's overwhelming. At least the meds have made the depression go away enough that I actually want to try to get better. I just need to be patient instead of expecting everything to magically be fixed NOW. I guess it's all about doing what I can to be healthier and learning to live with whatever illness is left.

Heh, the "y'all" thing is funny. I grew up in West Virginia, but the northern part, which is more hick than southern. I never said "y'all" as a kid. I started saying it as an adult because it drives me crazy to say "you" when I really want to say "you all", which is just a clunky phrase. And I still have enough of a hick accent that "y'all" doesn't sound out of place when I say it.

I lived in Weirton one year. Which panhandle? I grew up in Pittsburgh, so we used to go to Wheeling a lot.

Heh, yep, that panhandle. I grew up in Wheeling, so I used to go to Pittsburgh a lot. :) I liked that area a lot, but I needed some distance between me and my incredibly dysfunctional mother, so I've lived away from there since I was 18.

Thanks, Mackie! I am trying to sort out a lot of things all at once, and it's overwhelming. At least the meds have made the depression go away enough that I actually want to try to get better. I just need to be patient instead of expecting everything to magically be fixed NOW. I guess it's all about doing what I can to be healthier and learning to live with whatever illness is left.

Heh, the "y'all" thing is funny. I grew up in West Virginia, but the northern part, which is more hick than southern. I never said "y'all" as a kid. I started saying it as an adult because it drives me crazy to say "you" when I really want to say "you all", which is just a clunky phrase. And I still have enough of a hick accent that "y'all" doesn't sound out of place when I say it.

no prob :) and that is a great way of looking at things! and you are absolutely right. i also had to learn that, and i have to remember that every day. things take time to fix, anything in life takes time. pretty much nothing can be fixed NOW. sometimes it takes a lot time, and a lot of patience. but thats great that your meds has helped your depression! and it makes total sense, i did it. i didnt really care to get better, or really became proactive until i was helped a little. but again, you have a very good handle on the truth and what needs to be done. you have a very clear mind and that means so much!

lol! yeah i live in the DEEP south. i travel accross the SC, GA, FL, TN, AL, LA areas. right now settled in the south east tip of SC. so i TRY NOT to say yall. especially to my military friends and boyfriend :blink: . its emberassing lol. not sure if its a pride problem (?) or what. but i like hearing other people say it. feels farmiliar :D

Thanks! I have been feeling great the past two days...maybe my new dose of meds has finally stabilized. When I feel like this, I can think very clearly, and I have so much hope. Then there are the other days...but fewer of those lately. When the depression was at its worst, I think I kept going through sheer inertia. Just go through the motions, get through one day at a time, and try not to sink any lower. The depression lifted a bit for a while, and it still took me weeks to convince myself after that to go get help before it came back full force. One of the first questions the pdoc asked me was, what caused me to finally get help? I honestly don't know. I guess it doesn't much matter.

As for "y'all", I really like it, and it feels familiar to me too. :)

Archived