CrazyBoards.org

If you've called a suicide hotline...

Hey,

I've called a lot of different crisis lines, but they're all very specific to my city.

In my experience, they can respond in very different ways depending on their own protocols, but I've found them all to be fairly empathetic and helpful. I like some better than others, but I've never encountered any where the staff are grossly incompetent.

They wont turn me in for anything (suicidal thoughts) will they? I just really need to talk this shit out! Have no one right now.

The one I called did ask for my name, but I gave them a fake.

If you need to call, call. It's worth it to get a non-judgmental ear when you have nobody else.

They wont turn me in for anything (suicidal thoughts) will they? I just really need to talk this shit out! Have no one right now.

The one I called did ask for my name, but I gave them a fake.

If you need to call, call. It's worth it to get a non-judgmental ear when you have nobody else.

They don't need your name, just a trace of the number you're calling from. What you really need to do if you don't want them to know your info is to get one of those pre-paid phones that you find everywhere. You don't need to put any king of info into it, it just works immediately after activation. There's no way to trace that.

Well I think both times I called a local hotline.

The first time I called they continually asked me for my name and where I lived, but I had told them I was suicidal and I was also 15 at the time, so I understand why. I eventually gave in, and they also asked to talk to my parents, which I let them do.

The second time I called, I wasn't suicidal but just needed some advice about my MI, which they gave me and they gave me a number to a support group also, I thought that was very helpful.

If you feel you need to call one, I would do it, honestly. I'm sure every hotline is a little bit different, and I'm pretty certain you don't have to give them your name if you don't want to.

I haven't called a suicide hot line per se, but a crisis hotline. I probably went to the Yellow Pages, and tried to avoid anything smacking of religion, since I am not a believer. The person who answered turned out to be one of my favorite "goal directed" therapists, a Social Worker, I think with a Masters. As I saw him (and I also was seeing a p-doc), I began to deteriorate really fast, because of that kidney infection that almost killed me, which meant I went into debt. And then I became toxic on Lithum and just was depressed from being so sick, which turned into an 18 month episode of depression. And I had done so well at NOT accumulating debt on miniscule salaries up to that point, that made me feel even worse.

He was so nice that as I run out of money, he still saw me, and told me to send him a greeting card with $50 when I had the money, and he would call it even. This was for about 4 sessions. I did send him the card about a year later, and he wrote back to me that I was the first patient who had ever actually paid him back! So he saw me expecting never to get paid anything.

So it really helped me. I was more at the point where I felt like I wanted to be dead, but wasn't thinking about acting on it. I didn't have any plans or desire to do it myself. I just wanted to stop existing.

I just wanted to make that distinction, because I wasn't actually suicidal, just very depressed.

When I really needed a hotline I was too hesitant about them tracing my call and hospitalizing me. I did call one once but I found it really unhelpful and politely ended the call.

I so desperately wished we had a samaritans here like in UK, I would have liked to talk to somebody that had complete confidentiality.

Archived