CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Velvet Elvis

If you fail this test, you aren't Schizophrenic

The first time the mask turned around and the guy started talking (which means I didn't know what constituted passing or failing with the test), I saw a hollow mask, which seemed logical since I knew the mask was hollow from the start. However, after the guy explained the test, and the illusion, I could see the the 3-D face that people are supposed to see from the beginning, especially after pausing the mask with only the hollow side showing.

It would be nice if there was a test where half of the faces were hollow and half were actually 3-D. A person who wasn't schizophrenic would mark close to 100% of the faces as 3-D, and a person who was schizophrenic would mark closer to 50% hollow and 50% 3-D. It would also remove the variable of knowing it was hollow in the first place-This wouldn't be the first time I've "passed" or "failed" an optical illusion test depending on whether or not I knew what to look for.

Also, illusion tests with multiple interpretations have always confused me. Is it that most people can only see one option? Or they just see one option first? (I mean tests like this one, Hollow or 3D mask, and classics like Two faces or a Vase and Hag or Beautiful woman). The whole removing variables thing with me assumes the latter.

My dx is BPI, but it was SZ and SZA (Depressive subtype) at lower points in the past few years of being on the dx and med go round.

Edited by Cuttlefish
  • Like 1

Guest guest

If I saw through it the first time (nothing but holes and an hollow opening behind the mask) but then proceeded to see the 3 dimentional face after repeated viewings does that mean i failed or saw through the illusion?

Guest guest

If I saw through it the first time (nothing but holes and an hollow opening behind the mask) but then proceeded to see the 3 dimentional face after repeated viewings does that mean i failed or saw through the illusion?

its like if i focus on it enough i can see both...

wow that was exciting! the face just jumped right out at me

I love trickry and illusion, I can never figure it out

Vegas magicians love me -

So I passed this one for most of the video and then finally got it... My ex who is only bipolar only saw the hollow mask. I dont know if I trust this one since my diagnosis now and when I was 15 is schizophrenia.

The only time I saw the convex face (with the mask facing away) is when I paused the video and manipulated the mask back and fourth to mess with the lighting - otherwise, the mask facing away was concave, as it should be. I've always been able to see both sides of an illusion. Dunno if that makes me anything but bipolar though.

I just tried this on my son and he absolutely cannot see it sticking out and he is not schizophrenic at all.

i cant really even view it as my computer doesn't allow me to view images, or videos such as this type, is there a reason why it doesn't work? all i see is a blank part where the picture is supposed to be and a little icon in the top left hand corner. its happened to me before as well with other subtypes

For me, the nose was flat at first and as the hollow face appeared round to the point like it was staring at me the nose stuck out, but so did the whole face also. What does that mean?

Caveats

Seeing through the illusion isn’t a completely reliable indicator of schizophrenia. Some alcoholic test subjects may not be fooled by the hollow mask illusion.3 Being under the influence of cannabis (marijuana) may also yield a false positive.4

Um - OK, so if you don't see the face & aren't schizophrenic - you must be an alcoholic or stoned? Interesting.

The 1st couple of times it went around, I did not see the 3d image - But then I did when I started questioning if maybe I should be seeing it that way. That's kind of strange! I've never heard of this.

- sidenote & essentially off topic - after being back on here for a bit, I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of really smart people here. A LOT, like seemingly disproportionately so compared to most online communities. Anyone else notice that?

Edited by That Girl

Is this the reason why I can't see the faces in objects? I wonder.

Can you see those magic eye posters? I never have but wasn't sure of the reason but I wonder if that's it now.

I didn't click the link. That's a site I know I'm not supposed to visit and is blocked as it's very much up my alley in a bad way, and if I work around it that'll look bad, but you said faves in objects and that makes me wonder

Edited by mellifluous

I can't see the magic eyes things either. I still try though. "Maybe this time!" nope.

Fucking wild! That might be why we can't. The things you maybe learn on here...