CrazyBoards.org

Gay and Bipolar? From a very young age?

If you are gay or bisexual, and also have problems being cyclothymic or have been diagnosed bipolar, I would like to get a post on here from you, I have been doing some research and I think my problems stem from each of these problems feeding off each other for the past 39 years.......

I think you need to elaborate a little more. To my knowledge, there isn't any type of biological or physiological association. Emotionally, intellectually, it is possible to feed off of different things. I'm not clear if that is what you mean, though. Also, what research have you done? That could be interesting to hear about.

Like other posters, I'm not seeing how being LBGT has much to do with bipolar or any of the other mood disorders. After all, the idea of a mood disorder is that your mood do not rationally reflect your life circumstance. On the other hand, being queer does narrow a person's prospects for getting responsible treatment, and being crazy doesn't exactly help a person "fit in".

I guess more background would be helpful, so that people have a better idea what you're asking about.

I'm not really seeing the connection here either, but given all the diagnoses you're listing, I'm not sure how you'd narrow things down like that anyway.

It does kind of trouble me though, that you're describing your sexuality as a, "problem," on par with bipolar disorder.

I didn't mean scientific research, I meant personal, examine-the-past kind of research.....and yes being gay has been an overwhelming problem in about as many different areas of life as you can imagine. From the age of 4, maybe 5, during the time of learning to read, is when I had my first crush. And it seems that every crush since then caused the same euphoric manic rush, so as a child, not knowing what it was, I craved that euphoria, that extra zest in an otherwise mundane life, so I had plenty of crushes, not having any idea that it was a MI behind it all. And of course, spiraling down into the chasms of depression when they would not return the feeling.....may seem far-fetched but I am too pragmatic not to be able to have some sort of concrete answers for how my life got such a bad, bad start.....

And it seems that every crush since then caused the same euphoric manic rush, so as a child, not knowing what it was, I craved that euphoria, that extra zest in an otherwise mundane life, so I had plenty of crushes, not having any idea that it was a MI behind it all. And of course, spiraling down into the chasms of depression when they would not return the feeling

That sounds like a personality disorder.

nf

Yup. Being gay isn't a mental illness, and the lingering effects of life-long abuse seem to correlate better with MI than sexual orientation. I am a little disturbed by your language as well. I understand your point, Bueler, but that is not how it is worded at all.

And what do you mean "Personality Disorders" plural? What exactly have you been diagnosed with? You just kind of list symptoms?

I'm bi (but basically gay) and bipolar. I'm not sure if there's a relationship. For a while I've thought that there's a relationship between borderline personality and homosexuality but... It goes against the grain of currant thought, which is why you've elicited the responses above I guess. If you read some older books they think the two are connected. I know you are enquiring about BP+gay but with BPD+gay... It shouldn't be so controversial to bring it up.. I mean neither condition is entirely biological. It's a known fact that there are correlations between being abused as a child and BPD. Same gender sexual abuse/assault has a connection to being gay (I'm not sure if that's proven but through talking to a lot of people I'm sure it must be).

I guess my observation with other borderline diagnosed people is that their sexual preferences seem as fluid as their sense of self. All I have met are somewhat bisexual, they've all had experiences with both gender and seem to have floated around on both sides of the fence. I don't think it's a coincidence.

http://www.physorg.c...homophobia.html

Young adults who are lesbian, gay or bisexual (LGB) are at far higher risk for severe mental health problems than their heterosexual

peers. New research from Concordia University suggests that the stress of being rejected or victimized because of sexual orientation may

disrupt hormonal responses in lesbians, gays and bisexuals.

Recently published as a doctoral thesis in clinical psychology, this investigation examined environmental risks and protective factors that counterbalanced them in LGB youth. "Compared to their heterosexual peers, suicide rates are up to 14 times higher among lesbian, gay and bisexual high school and college students," says Michael Benibgui, who led this investigation as part of his PhD thesis at Concordia's Department of Psychology and Centre for Research in Human Development.

"Depression and anxiety are widespread," he continues. "To learn why this occurs, we studied the physiological impact of homophobic social environments on a group of healthy young LGB adults."

I didn't mean scientific research, I meant personal, examine-the-past kind of research.....and yes being gay has been an overwhelming problem in about as many different areas of life as you can imagine. From the age of 4, maybe 5, during the time of learning to read, is when I had my first crush. And it seems that every crush since then caused the same euphoric manic rush, so as a child, not knowing what it was, I craved that euphoria, that extra zest in an otherwise mundane life, so I had plenty of crushes, not having any idea that it was a MI behind it all. And of course, spiraling down into the chasms of depression when they would not return the feeling.....may seem far-fetched but I am too pragmatic not to be able to have some sort of concrete answers for how my life got such a bad, bad start.....

I think plenty of people whose crushes are on those of the opposite sex have similar experiences. I don't think your being gay had anything to do with it.

Young adults who are lesbian, gay or bisexual (LGB) are at far higher risk for severe mental health problems than their heterosexual

peers. New research from Concordia University suggests that the stress of being rejected or victimized because of sexual orientation may

Recently published as a doctoral thesis in clinical psychology, this investigation examined environmental risks and protective factors that counterbalanced them in LGB youth. "Compared to their heterosexual peers, suicide rates are up to 14 times higher among lesbian, gay and bisexual high school and college students," says Michael Benibgui, who led this investigation as part of his PhD thesis at Concordia's Department of Psychology and Centre for Research in Human Development.

"Depression and anxiety are widespread," he continues. "To learn why this occurs, we studied the physiological impact of homophobic social environments on a group of healthy young LGB adults."

I don't think I've seen this study, but from what I've read, the disorders involved heremare things like anxiety and depression, which are much more likely to be elicited by crappy life circumstances, and to resolve over time, than bipolar.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-244X/8/70/

I haven't seen any studies comparing LGBT youth to hetro, controlling for life circumstances. Things like socioeconomic status, education, employment, family relationships, each of which can have a huge impact on someone's mental health, or lack thereof.

I don't think I've seen this study, but from what I've read, the disorders involved heremare things like anxiety and depression, which are much more likely to be elicited by crappy life circumstances, and to resolve over time, than bipolar.

http://www.biomedcen...1471-244X/8/70/

I haven't seen any studies comparing LGBT youth to hetro, controlling for life circumstances. Things like socioeconomic status, education, employment, family relationships, each of which can have a huge impact on someone's mental health, or lack thereof.

Correct. I have never seen BP emerge as a reaction to stressful environments or really anything other than biology. As always stress will make existing MI worse. There is a clear relationship between being young and LGB and suicide, however:

Compared to their heterosexual peers, suicide rates are up to 14 times higher among lesbian, gay and bisexual high school and college students," says Michael Benibgui, who led this investigation as part of his PhD thesis at Concordia's Department of Psychology and Centre for Research in Human Development.

We are really failing to deal with this shocking statistic.

nf

:Trigger: :Trigger:

The first person I ever knew who committed suicide was gay. He was out to about three girls at our high school. He killed himself the summer after we graduated. There was no question in any of our minds as to why.

http://www.biomedcen...1471-244X/8/70/

Correct. I have never seen BP emerge as a reaction to stressful environments or really anything other than biology. As always stress will make existing MI worse. There is a clear relationship between being young and LGB and suicide, however:

Compared to their heterosexual peers, suicide rates are up to 14 times higher among lesbian, gay and bisexual high school and college students," says Michael Benibgui, who led this investigation as part of his PhD thesis at Concordia's Department of Psychology and Centre for Research in Human Development.

We are really failing to deal with this shocking statistic.

nf

I'm not sure who you mean by, "we," here, nf. Are you talking about we as a culture, we as CB, we who are participating in this thread?

I think plenty of people whose crushes are on those of the opposite sex have similar experiences. I don't think your being gay had anything to do with it.

Agreed. I also suspect the crushes caused a rush of emotion or ordinary euphoria, not hypo/mania. Euphoria actually is something mere mortals without BP can experience. The blush of a crush and all that.

I'm not sure who you mean by, "we," here, nf. Are you talking about we as a culture, we as CB, we who are participating in this thread?

We as a culture. We as a culture have largely ignored the shockingly high rate of suicide among GLBT young persons.

nf

Archived