CrazyBoards.org

Does Keppra timing make a difference?

I'm taking Keppra for seizures... I've complained about it before, mostly tiredness, but it does the job and after my surgery hopefully I won't need seizure medicine at all.

In the meantime, I'm supposed to take this every 12 hours. I setup a schedule, 9am and 9pm. But I rarely if ever manage to take my meds by 9am. Maybe that's an unrealistic goal, but I take it around 8pm when I am thinking about it.

Does anyone know how sensitive Keppra is to dosing schedule? Will being off by a few hours make a huge difference? Or can I just let it go...

Keppra has a really short half life, so I think to maintain a steady state, you do need to take it in divided, regularly spaced, doses. There is an XR version that only has to be taken once daily. If taking it at regular times is an issue for you, ask your neuro about it.

In the meantime, I'm supposed to take this every 12 hours. I setup a schedule, 9am and 9pm. But I rarely if ever manage to take my meds by 9am. Maybe that's an unrealistic goal, but I take it around 8pm when I am thinking about it.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here. You forget to take your morning meds until 8pm, and then you take the night ones an hour later? I hope there's a typo in there somewhere...

Does anyone know how sensitive Keppra is to dosing schedule? Will being off by a few hours make a huge difference? Or can I just let it go...

For most people, a few hours one way or the other (where "a few" is a low single digit number, not 11 like implied above) isn't a huge deal. Ideally you want it to be as close to 12 hours apart as you can get it, but taking it at something like 11 and 9 isn't the end of the world. I personally have a much better time with it and fewer side effects if I'm very strict about spacing it evenly, but I have been told by my doctor that I'm unusually sensitive to that, and most people don't have to worry about it so much.

I don't think my insurance covers the XR version, because it's brand name... I guess I could double check with my insurance company and find out how expensive it would be.

If they don't cover it, expect it to be brutally expensive. Even with a generic out now, the non-XR brand name Keppra is still pretty pricy, and I assume the XR is worse. Even the generic costs a bunch if you have to pay out of pocket, last time I checked (which was a little over a year ago, but it was still $140+ for a month of the generic vs. $400-600 for brand name at the time).

The half life is short enough that my husband was splitting it into 3 doses. He said he could feel it kick in each time, and it did seem to help his seizures, but he had to stop it because of Kepprage.

Well I'm supposed to take 2 500mg tablets a day. So, I don't think I could accurately make 333.3333mg tablets out of that, or I'd have a mess.

I usually am *about* right, and if I'm going out or something, I'll take it early... since I figure I'd rather have a seizure in my sleep than have one while I'm out and about. That's my logic anyway.

I think it's almost impossible to do it perfectly.

The half life is short enough that my husband was splitting it into 3 doses. He said he could feel it kick in each time, and it did seem to help his seizures, but he had to stop it because of Kepprage.

Well I'm supposed to take 2 500mg tablets a day. So, I don't think I could accurately make 333.3333mg tablets out of that, or I'd have a mess.

I usually am *about* right, and if I'm going out or something, I'll take it early... since I figure I'd rather have a seizure in my sleep than have one while I'm out and about. That's my logic anyway.

I think it's almost impossible to do it perfectly.

I was originally on 2x500, too, but I took it upon myself to split them into 4x250 (now 4x500). I also take them with me when I go out. If it hasn't been a problem for you, though, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I only had to do that because it was very noticeable and obvious if I went too long between doses; if there's no difference for you personally, great.

Archived