CrazyBoards.org

Manias that are definitely NOT FUN

I was reading through some older posts on the Schiz forum and the member was speaking about

how their manias were more irritability, paranoia and psychosis....rather than euphoria.

This has been the bugaboo in my accepting a bipolar diagnosis...because I rarely, most

rarely have had anything even approaching euphoria.

I seem to swing from deep depression ....to....irritability, paranoia and some psychosis.

This is what manic depression....bipolar looks like with me.

Anyone else live with this kind of reality?

*raises hand* I don't get psychosis, but my mania symptoms are irritability, RAGE (I always feel that should be in all caps, as "rage" doesn't capture what I feel), anxiety and the more typical racing thoughts, lack of sleep, desire to spend money, and some paranoia.

EXCEPT for the beginning of January, when I think I had my first ever euphoric mania. It was amazing. I only NOW understand how anyone could want mania, could crave that and go looking for it.

My manias are rarely euphoric anymore. I'd say, over the past two years, anyway. It's all irritability and agitation and obsessive actions that I hate but can't control. All I can do is just call the doctor when I start getting cranked up and see if a med tweak will help.

I definitely feel where you are coming from.

Yes, over the years I get less and less euphoric, it's almost like I have burned out "euphoria" in my brain. My first episode was almost purely euphoric at least until I got totally psychotic and it got crazy and scary. Definite trend I've noticed though.

Hypo is not fun, because I know irritability and crazy and mean and bitch is coming down the pike shortly unless I DO SOMETHING.

Anna

I very rarely had anything resembling euphoria. I'm not sure about psychosis although there were a few incidents that might fall under that category. But my mania's 99% about irritability, extreme anger (I can be one mean b****) and paranoia (to some degree... it was usually more "everyone hates me and those who try to like me are just setting me up"). So I guess that's hypomania? I had rare occasions where the euphoria hit me but it never lasted very long.

Guest Vapourware

I had a mixed state years ago, it was hell on earth. I had a lot of energy and a lot of dark thoughts, and I felt all jumbled up inside. I had racing thoughts, my sleep was out of whack and I was quite irritable. It was medication-induced but no-one realised at the time, so I endured months being in that state.

Yeah, I consider what I have a dysphoric mania. Crazy Red Princess mention that spewing of venemous thoughts, that is exactly what happens to me. Sometimes I can keep it inside my head, sometimes not. It's just ugly.

I had trouble accepting the bp diagnosis because I thought of mania as being really happy and I have more irritability, paranoia and psychosis. I knew something was wrong, I just wasn't sure what. But, I went to support groups and met people with similar experiences and it helped me.

My dx has changed to schizoaffective.

No euphoric mania ever. Actually, very little mania period, more often mixed. However, when I do have mania it is extreme agitation and irritability, and a bad feeling in my chest. Definitely nothing fun in that. I don't need to be encouraged to take the Zyprexa.

*raises hand* I don't get psychosis, but my mania symptoms are irritability, RAGE (I always feel that should be in all caps, as "rage" doesn't capture what I feel), anxiety and the more typical racing thoughts, lack of sleep, desire to spend money, and some paranoia.

EXCEPT for the beginning of January, when I think I had my first ever euphoric mania. It was amazing. I only NOW understand how anyone could want mania, could crave that and go looking for it.

same for me. it made it harder for me to see that i DO have a problem with mania, not just depression (b/c with all that awfulness, you can almost blur the two together). i've had a few euphoric manias and a few more pleasant hypomanias, but mainly "raging bitch" would best describe my manic state, topped off with a healthy dollop of anxiety and paranoia.

I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that mixed states are when you're showing signs of mania AND depression at the same time... for example, when I told one of my pdocs that was enraged but to fucking tired to do anything about it he said, "if you ever want to give a psychiatrist a headache tell them you're angry and tired at the same time. It's just not possible." This was before they acknowledged there *was* such a thing as mixed states.

Anyway, my hypo-manic episodes are sometimes euphoric and full of things like cleaning and hypersexuality (which really isn't as fun as it sounds). But my but full-blown mania episodes hardly ever are: mostly rage, sleeplessness, paranoia and psychosis. I think I'd like to get a dose of "everything's wonderful with the world" while manic just once - just to see what it feels like, but then again - maybe not. Mania just isn't fun at all.

Archived