CrazyBoards.org

I have no appetite for food at all; I can usually eat a little something because I know I should, but it doesn't taste good, and my brain insists I'm full to the point of being ill after just a handful or two of food. This is exacerbated by the Celexa. However, I crave sugar almost constantly, especially in the afternoon/evening. My independent research says this is a part of the depression--that sugar, especially chocolate, releases serotonin and can temporarily elevate mood.

I'm hoping that if I come up with some healthier solutions to these cravings, that will both boost my calorie intake for the day (which is pretty low right now) and answer the craving itself. So I've come here again to brainstorm. I've been eating more fruit, and that seems to help, but perhaps others have useful ideas as well.

Edited to fix a mistake

The cravings are pretty powerful (maybe a 7 or 8 on a 1-10 scale). I have been eating mostly bridge mix (chocolate covered nuts and raisins). I can stretch a small handful of this out over an hour or so, eating a piece at a time, especially if I have something else to keep my hands busy at the same time. Sometimes I drink a cup of sweetened cinnamon tea or vanilla rooibos, instead; that seems to help just as well. I do feel physically fatigued, but that's also a listed side-effect of the citalopram. As for cognitive problems, my concentration and focus are apathetic at best, and I have trouble remembering things. I sometimes have moments of confusion, also, especially if I've just woken up. (For instance, not long ago I woke in the middle of the night, needing the bathroom. When I got to the door I stopped, confused, because I couldn't remember which direction to turn the knob in order to open the door, and I had this powerful certainty that I didn't dare get it wrong. It took me some serious thought before I finally mobilized myself and opened the damn door. I'm cold sometimes, but at work the temperatures are kept fairly low. At home I'm mostly fine.

Ok.. you need to go to the doc and get a lab test for your TSH. This is your Thyroid production level. All the symptoms you describe are classic for Hypothyroidism (something I have.. I went through pretty much what you're describing before getting tested and getting a med for it). You may not have it & the stuff my just be depression related, but you need to test for it. It's important.

Thank you for this...very much. Your concern honestly touches me. :) I was overnight in the psych unit at a hospital two Mondays ago, and had blood drawn for a battery of tests (including thyroid problems). The doc said the blood tests came back okay, and he thought it looked like the cognitive difficulties (trouble concentrating, apathy, confusion, etc.) are likely due to depression and depersonalization problems.

celexa made me crave carbs like no tomorrow. zoloft doesnt. Aside from switching to another AD the only suggestion I have is adding topamax =(

You could -try- metformin but I dont think its been studied for SSRI weight gain, only AP's.

Thank you for this...very much. Your concern honestly touches me. :) I was overnight in the psych unit at a hospital two Mondays ago, and had blood drawn for a battery of tests (including thyroid problems). The doc said the blood tests came back okay, and he thought it looked like the cognitive difficulties (trouble concentrating, apathy, confusion, etc.) are likely due to depression and depersonalization problems.

Call the doc and get the TSH number. Different labs have different ranges.. and it's possible to just be in there but still have problems.

I have a med appointment coming up soon, so I'll talk to the doc about this when I go in. It's not a huge problem (I've had appetite issues for months with the depression). It's just a pain, and I don't want to put on a ton of weight grazing on chocolate candy in the evenings. :P

edited to fix a typo

Archived