CrazyBoards.org

Unusual Symptom:Intellectual Poverty

Hi,guys!

I´ve been experiencing a symptom I haven´t come across anywhere or in anyone else.I call it intellectual poverty.When I´m experiencing it,I deal with things,problems,subjects and situations very poorly,from an intellectual standpoint.I am unable to treat problems in an intellectually rich manner the way I used to.For instance,I like cinema and politics a lot.So if I´m presented with a good film or an interesting political subject,i would normally have something interesting and rich to say about them,but,when I´m in a crisis,I can´t muster and organize the information and knowledge necessary to say what I have to say about these things therefore I end up saying nothing or something much dumber than usual.

This poverty always comes with mild depersonalization and derealization.Has anyone ever felt that?What did you do?Is it associated with some mental illness?

Thank you and regards from Brazil,

João Alberto

"Intellectual Poverty" is not really an apt description of what you are describing. It is usually used in more concrete terms, and is doesn't really refer to a cognitive deficit.

I think you *are* talking about cognitive skills. Which as BPLB points out, we can't really address without having more information.

Hi,guys!

I´ve been experiencing a symptom I haven´t come across anywhere or in anyone else.I call it intellectual poverty.When I´m experiencing it,I deal with things,problems,subjects and situations very poorly,from an intellectual standpoint.I am unable to treat problems in an intellectually rich manner the way I used to.For instance,I like cinema and politics a lot.So if I´m presented with a good film or an interesting political subject,i would normally have something interesting and rich to say about them,but,when I´m in a crisis,I can´t muster and organize the information and knowledge necessary to say what I have to say about these things therefore I end up saying nothing or something much dumber than usual.

This poverty always comes with mild depersonalization and derealization.Has anyone ever felt that?What did you do?Is it associated with some mental illness?

João Alberto

Johnny. I know this so well. cant get any therapist to understand. they "reframe it" and minimize it. horrible experience.

please keep in touch. wjaur AT yahoo

What is your diagnosis?

Episodes of MI can effect your cognitive functioning.

What is MI?

Do you have a mental illness? Are you on medications?

Are you doing recreational drugs or drinking to excess?

More information might be helpful.

Don´t drink,don´t take drugs.I was diagnosed with schizophrenia once by one doc (although I´ve never had delusions or hallucinations),but 3 others disagree and come up with no diagnosis at all.I´m pretty sure I have schizoid personality disorder (not very severe).I take Risperdal,3 mg,which should help with the int. poverty.I would really like to know if this intellectual symptom actually shows I have schizophrenia,if it´s really caused by schizophrenia.What I do have are crisis which haven´t been diagnosed when my mind starts dealing with everything in a different way and in a way which lacks depth and emotional colouring an that doesn´t show ( or contain) my personality and my life,my biography.So I´m presented with a certain person or place and in my mind are not presented the same thoughts,impressions and emotions that I used to have when presented with that place or person.This makes me feel very distant to myself.It also has a sensorial aspect,when I´m in a crisis,I interpret what I see,hear,etc, in a different way,from an emocional and intellectual standpoint.I´m not sure if this is actually related to depersonalization and derealization...As you can see,the intellectual stuff is just the tip of the iceberg hehhe

"Intellectual Poverty" is not really an apt description of what you are describing. It is usually used in more concrete terms, and is doesn't really refer to a cognitive deficit.

I think you *are* talking about cognitive skills. Which as BPLB points out, we can't really address without having more information.

I also think I´m talking about cognitive skills,but intellectual poverty was the best name I could come up to describe MY cognitive problem.Intellectual poverty can be used to describe other things but I used it to describe a symptom related to cognition.

Hi,guys!

João Alberto

Johnny. I know this so well. cant get any therapist to understand. they "reframe it" and minimize it. horrible experience.

please keep in touch. wjaur AT yahoo

Therapists try to forget it simply because it´s so hard to understand the problem.The reframing and minimizing happened with me too.It´s really horrible.Tell us your experiences with the problem,how you feel,which illness you have etc,wjaur!

What I do have are crisis which haven´t been diagnosed when my mind starts dealing with everything in a different way and in a way which lacks depth and emotional colouring an that doesn´t show ( or contain) my personality and my life,my biography.So I´m presented with a certain person or place and in my mind are not presented the same thoughts,impressions and emotions that I used to have when presented with that place or person.This makes me feel very distant to myself.It also has a sensorial aspect,when I´m in a crisis,I interpret what I see,hear,etc, in a different way,from an emocional and intellectual standpoint.I´m not sure if this is actually related to depersonalization and derealization...As you can see,the intellectual stuff is just the tip of the iceberg hehhe

In short:I experience myself and the world in a different manner.This new manner,however,is existentially,emotionally and intellectually poor.It´s a distorted,unreal and ugly version of my own way of experiencing things.It is not how I view things,how I situate myself in the world and in my life.Well,that´s about it.Hope I didn´t bore anybody to death with this thing.

i think this can be a fairly common occurnence in schizophrenia, and is referred to as one of the negative symptoms of it. is there a reason you reject the dx but still take meds? Just curious.

ANna

I used to reject the dx and take Risperdal,because my doc said it would be good for me even if I didn´t have schizoprenia.And ,besides, Risperdal is also used to treat schizoid personality disorder.Now,however,I´m open to the schizophrenia dx and I´m glad you think my symptoms are consistent with schizophrenia.Any dx will do,as long as it´s the right one,you know?

Archived