CrazyBoards.org

I have used a lava lamp for years. Usually turned on around October until the light outside starts changing in early spring. The constantly slow moving liquid goo is soothing. The bright light at night used to bother me but now that I take a sleep aide my lava stays on 24/7, somehow scaring away my demons that arrive on time every mid to late afternoon.

It works, but if you get hypomanic, you have to be careful with it. You can activate if you aren't paying attention. Start at 20min a day for a while, then go up to 25 for a bit, or 30, if you need it. I am sure there are people who use the lights for longer periods, but I have not heard of it.

Start low and slow, and build up.

For those it works well for, it can be miraculous.

I am so depressive in the winter, me and husband finally packed up and moved to AZ, heh. There were also other factors involved, so it's not as crazy as it may sound.... It HAS made a difference for me, I believe, although med change regimens and whatnot have helped with this too.

i'd say give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.

Anna

I got one for use when I was assigned to a horrible windowless office. It wasn't a lightbox per se, but a table lamp with a special bulb (sorry, don't remember the brand). I left it on most of the day, and ignored comments about "Wow, that's a really bright light!"

The intensity was adjustable, and the directions said to have it brightest first thing in the morning and then start dialing it down. I think it helped my mood, although luckily that work location only lasted for a couple of months. If I lived somewhere farther north, or with a lot of clouds, I would definitely get one. If I recall correctly it was about $150 or $200, but compared to the cost of a depressive episode, it was cheap.

I've never been manic or hypomanic so was not worried about getting fired up.

I really is a good idea for you to talk to your doctor before starting any kind of light box therapy. I know people say it's "safe". But look at it this way: it can be effective enough to do something RIGHT for your mood, so it can be effective enough to do something wrong.

That is- it can send people manic, and has.

20 minutes, even, is a little much to start with.

I highly recommend consulting a doctor first, if only to get a baseline of your mood and to be on the same page, should something not work out.

That said, it has helped a lot of people.

If you have BP, it can still work, but be careful not to use it for too long at first. It's easy to think that because it's "just a light" you don't have to be careful with titrating up and tracking your exposure, but you do. I know someone who sat in front of hers for three hours and had a severe manic episode because she basically overdosed. If you're worried, start with 5 minutes in the morning and work up slowly, and be alert for signs that something's wrong in your head. You can always stop if you have to.

Wow. Well, maybe it's not your thing. Probably worth giving it a full two or three weeks, though. Are you using it in the morning?

Yeah I use it 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening. Still of no benefit. Maybe I got the wrong kind of light box. I have the philips golite blu one which cost a hell of a lot. Its going back if it doesn;t work.

• 2 weeks later...

I love light therapy! I use the red light because it is also good for ur skin, and pain. Slot of athletes use it as well, for physical therapy. I bought a light n it is very expensive but I also go to a red light bed, like a tanning bed, which I think is way better!! Tanning is ok too!

Archived