CrazyBoards.org

Dutch to try to crackdown on Drug Tourism

And given the EU courts have already said it is OK for Maastrict to do the same looks like it would be legal to do for the rest of the Citizens of the European Union, which would be the biggest problem due to EU law, Only residents of the Netherlands would be allowed into coffee shops.

Nothing has been confirmed either way yet.

Guest Vapourware

That's a bit odd, I didn't think there was an issue with foreigners entering coffee shops. Wouldn't that hurt their tourism industry more, though?

So, I take it they sell recreational drugs in the coffee shops? Legally? I'm from the US, so that concept is foreign to me. Although I do remember that in college, it was cool to go to the Netherlands when overseas on a study pass.

Guest Vapourware

When I was there, we were able to buy joints in "coffee shops". We would smoke them back in the hostel because you weren't supposed to be smoking on the street. It's tolerated but it's still illegal.

What difference is it going to make? Do they really think people will stop using it? Why waste what are no doubt scant resources criminalizing a widely tolerated activity. I think the deal is it is legal to possess, but illegal to sell, and that the gov't has an official policy of looking the other way when it comes to coffee houses, which puts the coffee houses in a grey area legally.

But of course, I have a bias.

It is still going to be legal for Dutch Residents to buy in or enter a coffeeshop. However non-residents will not be able to enter. Sort of along the lines of a Private Members club.

Crtclms - It's all illegal (but soft drug use is tolerated). Possesion is a minor offence punishable by fines only. I think the main issue here is the numbers who go to Amsterdam etc just to go to the coffeeshops. It will be intresting to see what the European courts say about this on a national level. Theres an article against discrimination of other EU citizens (it's really a super country in some respects). However there are a few exceptions.

Vape - this was only announced at the tale end of last year.

Odetta - yes, but only Cannibis and Hashish.

Archived