CrazyBoards.org

Crappy antidepressant

I think it starts with an A... And it helps my depression, bipolar, and don't forget the voices telling me to kill me/other people...

It makes you super dizzy, to the point you would rather die than enjoy the swirling.

It makes you tired to no end.

I get really hyper the entire day...

Weight gain and increased appetite are two seperate effects -_-

(which doesn't help an ex-anorexic...)

While it treats many things, the side effects suck. Does anybody have any idea what this is called? Like I said, I think it begins with an A...

I really don't think I've ever heard an Abilify success story except for the one that's in the commercial advertising it. But it isn't that I don't believe it works. I mean, it wouldn't be on the market and an antidepressant add-on if it were pure evil. Still, all I hear about it is akathesia, mania, insomnia, irritability, paranoia (I experienced these things on it too). However, I guess I'm more likely to find complaints online than success stories... Still, I'm curious to know if it's helped ANYONE, schizophrenia or depression wise. Maybe it just helps a small percentage of people, but the people it helps gain their lives back so that's why it's still out there?

I really don't think I've ever heard an Abilify success story except for the one that's in the commercial advertising it. But it isn't that I don't believe it works. I mean, it wouldn't be on the market and an antidepressant add-on if it were pure evil. Still, all I hear about it is akathesia, mania, insomnia, irritability, paranoia (I experienced these things on it too). However, I guess I'm more likely to find complaints online than success stories... Still, I'm curious to know if it's helped ANYONE, schizophrenia or depression wise. Maybe it just helps a small percentage of people, but the people it helps gain their lives back so that's why it's still out there?

I like my Abilify. I'm not even using it as an add on for an AD. (unless you count Lamictal as an AD, as you may) I PROBABLY have unipolar depression (I wish they'd hurry up and decide what the fuck is wrong with me) and it helps with that. It also seems to help with obsessive thinking/intruisive thoughts/social phobia/anxiety as a whole. So yeah, I like the 10mg of Abilify I'm on. I think it's a magic pill too. I found it to be sedating at first, however. A lot of people seem to find it activating, but I had to take mine at night or I'd pass out on the couch during the day, at first. Anyway, it didn't CURE anything, it's just helped quite a bit with a lot of things, so I don't know if I'm a success story or not.

To the OP- definitely bring up troublesome side effects to your p-doc and see what he/she has to say about it. How long have you been on Abilify ?(if that's what you're on)

I know meds can have paradoxical reactions and such but I still find it so strange that an antipsychotic, a drug for schizophrenia, can cause paranoia...

Also, people say Abilify is an activating antipsychotic? Why would would the FDA approve a drug that activates schizophrenics?! WTF?!?

It's not activating for everyone.... Also, some say that higher doses are more sedating, while lower doses are activating. it seems to function like seroquel in that respect.

Anyone can get a paradoxical reaction to any med, but abilify is just one of those weird ones that people tend to either love or hate.

Anna

It's not activating for everyone.... Also, some say that higher doses are more sedating, while lower doses are activating. it seems to function like seroquel in that respect.

Anyone can get a paradoxical reaction to any med, but abilify is just one of those weird ones that people tend to either love or hate.

Anna

Yeah, apparently my psychologist mom thinks I've built up tolerance to it because I had a reeeeally low swing yesterday, so she asked and increased the dose from one pill (2 mg) to 1 1/2 (3 mg).

I didn't take the half pill, because I feel like it was just me being... PMS.

Plus I just hate it.

Your mother doesn't understand blood levels and titration? Even if she does, she doesn't seem to understand that you need to follow an MD's orders. A Psychologist is not a psychiatrist, she should not be practicing medicine. What she did is actually illegal, although no one would ever pursue it.

It is also unethical to treat family members. Period.

Doesn't the mothers ability to ask to change the meds etc also depend on how old blackraccoon is? ie is BlackRaccoon an Adult without any kind of guardianship order etc.

Plus one day of a low seems to soon to see if it is something is just something else is the cause. Like PMS.

also sounds like BlackRaccoon also did not get to speak to the dr about the side effects that are bothering her.

Archived