CrazyBoards.org

I started having symptoms around 17 years of age.

I knew something was wrong from the very beginning of my symptoms starting.

I was diagnosed with bipolar at the age of 19, and diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder at the age of 22.

I don't have a family member with bipolar, schizophrenia, schizoaffective or any other similar MI.

Started having symptoms around age 11...it got bad at age 12 (I'm almost 22 now).

I knew something was seriously wrong when I was 13.

Although I do not have schizophrenia, I have psychosis from depression at times. I started getting diagnosed with stuff when I was 19 though.

I have no idea about my real family, because I am adopted...

Guest Vapourware

I started having symptoms in my early teens, mostly depression but also some thought broadcasting that wasn't dependent on mood. I was largely untreated for years, save for a few brief periods of seeing GPs and psychologists. I was diagnosed as bipolar in 2009 and that was changed to schizoaffective in 2010. I always knew something was wrong, but for a long time I didn't have a name for it. I knew there was something wrong because it would impair on my functioning, but I thought everyone had similar experiences to me and didn't think that some of my experiences were out of the ordinary. For instance, it took me a long time to realise that my take on 'internal monologue' was actually 'auditory hallucinations' but now that I'm on a good medication combo, I can tell the difference.

I have 'eccentric' relatives but none with an official MI dx.

I started having thought insertion somewhere between the ages of 6-8....

Psychotic symptoms (various) continued through my teenage years until present day.

Dx'd BP when I was....26? My p-doc currently agrees schizoaffective fits me (I have psychotic stuff outside of mood all the time, mood stuff isn't a big deal for me) but he feels I'm too high-functioning. That was at 31 years old.

Have mood disorders in my family, and I think some other MI too....Dad was adopted so can't say from that side of things.

When you started having symptoms?

This is hard to say. I recall being terrified of things at a young age like clocks. I had this idea that some kind of beam would come out of them at night and hurt me. I could not sleep in a room with a clock. I was very small then. In the first grade I got spanked in front of the whole class for talking in class and I did not talk at all at school for the rest of the year - to anyone for any reason. There were other things. My more obvious symptoms did not start till around 13 or 14.

When you knew something was wrong?

I did not realize it was a problem with me untill I was in my 20's despite auditory and visual hallucinations. I saw them as communication from the spirit world and got around a nich of people that were into that.

When you were officially diagnosed with schizophrenia or psychosis?

I was 15 and in a state mental hospital here in Georgia.

Do you have a family member with bipolar or schizophrenia?

I have been told my Grandfather was schizophrenic. There are stories of him setting fire to the outhouse at school with the principal inside - he ran out with his pants down and everyone got a laugh. He is also said to have bought a new lawnmower and when it did not crank he beat it to death with an axe then called my dad and asked him if he wanted it. I dont know if this qualifies :) I never heard that he had delusions ot hallucinations, tho and my Mom has always seemed to me to be somewhat Bipolar but would never see a Dr like I thought she would. She just considers it 'women's issues'.

My first symptoms of psychosis started in May of 2009. The psychosis manifested itself in the form of auditory hallucinations and paranoid delusions at first, and then progressed into visual hallucinations and major paranoid delusions. These were controlled at time by antipsychotic medications, and subsided around January of 2010.

When I noticed my thinking patterns changing and paranoia intensifying.

I was diagnosed with: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type in June of 2009 while inpatient; Schizophrenia in October of 2009 by my counselor; and Schizoaffective Bipolar Type again in March 2010 by a psychiatric NP. My current dx is unknown, which is due to the fact that my current psychiatrist has never seen my previous psychotic symptoms.

Not that I know of.

I started having the hallucinations when I was about 8 years old but it wasn't until I was 13 when it started to get worse. It went unnoticed for years because I had learnt to cope with it right up until I was 15 when I had a psychotic episode. I was diagnosed with MDD with Psychosis when I was 17 years of age and i'm currently being monitored for either Schizophrenia or Schizoaffective. My grandmother is diagnosed with Schizophrenia (Paranoid type)

OCD symptoms started at around 6 or 7. Depression and self injury at 12. First psychosis was when I was about 16.

I knew something was wrong at 12.

Diagnosed the first time with BP at 16. Re-diagnosed last January and then changed to schizoaffective this past fall.

Not that I know of. My dad was adopted and my mom only knows her biological mother, so it's hard to say for sure. Lots of anxiety and depression in my family, and a brother diagnosed as borderline.

• 4 months later...

I remember getting my first "auditory hallucination" when I was 8. I was at a friends house looking for a door that didn't have bars on it. (We were locked in) and as I headed towards the garage door the voice said "Wrong way stupid!" and it started laughing at me like I was a dumbass. The voice was right. I soon discovered I could not leave the house through the garage. Later on in life, I've come to hear different voices giving advice or admonishing me depending on the voice. I've come to know them as as demons or "spirit guides." As a christian I am convinced that this is not a 'hallucination" at all but psychic / paranormal experience. Who's with me?

Psychosis, insomnia and social anxiety started in second grade; I knew then that something was wrong but couldn't verbalize it. I also didn't have the capacity to see how far away from normal my experiences were. In middle school depression was added to the mix. Then, after graduating high school I got worse and was often non-functional but I didn't know what the problem was, or that the problem was medical in nature, so I didn't seek treatment. And I still couldn't verbalize what was wrong or see the difference from normal. Time passed, there were periods of being more functional or less functional. At age 30 I was diagnosed with major depression but the symptoms did not remit with treatment. I was diagnosed schizoaffective in my mid-forties. So there were decades of going untreated or only partially treated. No family history.

14 or so for the mood stuff, 19 or so for the psychotic stuff

Not until I was around 21 or so

24 or so I think with schizoaffective bipolar type

Yes my grandfather with bipolar and some other people on my dad's side have it too

2.5 years old is when I had my first memorable salient manic experience.

At about the age of 21 or 22 I realized that a brain scan would mark me different from the majority.

I was diagnosed bipolar at the age of 37 IIRC.

Not that I am aware of. But there ADD and lysdexia (joke spelling) are there leading to the Asperger issue. Once you get Asperger you have ~25% chance of having a mood disorder IIRC.

I was 19 when I think I had my first psychotic symptoms. I had just started at uni and thought I could control the time of the day, so ran myself (unintentionally) into the ground and landed with 2 years of bad depression. Though when I look back I see that I was probably heading for 'something' from when I was 18, as I used to isolate myself and just write and write and write (actually I had several books on the go at this time).

But I did not know that anything was wrong until I had a flash of insight at age 22. I had suddenly realised that my behaviour had caused my depression. Then I would constantly beat myself up emotionally for what I had done, and how that I did not know that my actions would have consequences. I also had issues with understanding my depression, in that I thought it was normal. But back to the psychosis, I still have issues to this day about accepting my diagnosis. I see that this is an issue just from the past, but I need to see that I still have symptoms now.

I was officially diagnosed with psychosis NOS only a couple of months ago, after sheer desperation led me to get help for my thought control (which was happening pretty much every day). I was 24. This is also the first time I have been on AP, even though I was offered them when I was false diagnosed with schizophrenia at age 22 (a few months before my flash of insight - I actually thought pdoc was more in need of meds than what I was, well I was having really bad symptoms at the time). The meds have helped me a little bit with understanding what is happening to me, but I still have issues with accepting that I still have some symptoms. Plus I have been dealing with a relative of mine influencing my pdoc, so can't be certain my diagnosis is entirely impartial. However I am trying to work on a compromise here.

I am not entirely sure about history of mental illnesses in my family. I know there has been some depression, and even a few suicides a long time ago. But none of my close relatives have a diagnosis. And I am pretty certain that I am the first in my family to have any issues with psychosis. Jerkiness is more prevalent in my family than mental illness.

Archived