CrazyBoards.org

Please help.

I have never had the oppertunity to talk anyone about any of my issues, so i have great diffuculty putting my thoughts/feelings into words.

So i apologise in advance if this comes out as a horrible mess. I'll try keep it as short as possible.

Basically ive been suffering with anxiety and depression my whole life.

I overthink/overanylise basically every situation im in and im shore its one of the biggest causes of my anxiety.

Among other issues i probally have the most trouble in social situations.

When im in social situations, im constantly worrying about what i belive other people are thinking about my actions/what im saying.

I no i shouldnt worry about other peoples oppinions so much that it shapes my life, but ive had no friends for the most part of my life, and im so tired of being alone.

Has anyone ever had this problem? And found a good way to deal with it?

Thankyou.

You really need to start therapy, there are very good therapies for anxity and social phobia. it truly does respond well. Try to find a therapist who specializes in anxiety disorders.

Medications can also be helpful for either short or longer periods while you are working on developing coping skills, either benzos or ssris.

I don't know what else to tell you. The "anxiety and phobia workbook' is a good workbook to take a look at if you absolutely won't or can't go to therapy, but nothing will fix this for you probably other than some focused work with a therapist, and psychiatrist.

welcome to the site, please keep posting with us!

Anna

I used to have a therapist but i can no longer afford it. Over the last couple of years my problems have got much worse and as a result, i lost my job. And despite my best efforts i havn't been able to hold one for more then a couple days since.

I am seeing a phsyc, and he has had me on more drugs then i can even recall. Nothing really makes anything much easier though. There really is no such thing as a magic pill.

Thanks alot for recomending the workbook, I just ordered myself a copy :)

Any advice is really greatly appreciated, i really cant cope like this anymore, il try anything.

Has anyone ever had this problem? And found a good way to deal with it?

Yes. Therapy, the right combination of medications, therapy, therapy, and then therapy.

If you are in the US contact your local health department about low cost/sliding scale therapy. Almost every county has some kind of affordable mental health help.

Good luck, Indigo

I'm 20 now and have had a lot of social anxiety problems through my teens. I can relate to worrying about how you are perceived or whether people are talking about you behind your back. I have trouble trusting that people aren't pretending to like me. Recently I've been more confident. My self-esteem is still really low but I'm not freaking out about being around people anymore. When my fear was at the worst I was about 15 and basically even going to the mailbox scared me, let alone the grocery store. My then psychiatrist got me to do "graded exposure" exercises where I would gradually expose myself to situations I was afraid of, working my way from fairly easy to fairly hard. I was most likely on an SSRI at the time, they did help some. I've found that over time, I just have to keep getting myself out there, talking to people, meeting new people, being in public, whatever. If I shut myself away in my room for a while the fear comes back and buying cigarettes at the store makes me nervous again!

But yeah, I feel I got over it. So many things I used to be afraid of I think I could do now. I might be nervous but I would be there. I can go to parties where I don't know anyone, strike up conversations, etc. I'm even thinking about joining a tennis team. I've always been scared of competitive sports but I'm considering it. But yeah.. I think the only reason I can do these things is just getting myself used to people initially and then making friends and keeping up that social interaction regularly. You learn a lot that way.

Archived