CrazyBoards.org

Wikipia Antipsychotic Article

Antipsychotic Page On Wikipedia

Has anyone read the antipsychotic page? I just did and it's scary.. Reduced life expectancy. Tardive psychosis from brain compensating the drug. Inability to withdraw the drug because of withdrawal/rebound psychosis. Apparently TD is due to brain damage?

On this forum I've read that AP's are neuroprotective. Why is there such conflicting information? Is a scientologist responsible for the article or are those the views of academic psychiatry?

I know I'm afraid of my meds and worry a lot but reading that how can I not worry?!

It would be nice to have a link to this page--I can't take the time to go find it, and I certainly wouldn't be sure I'd be reading the same one you're talking about.

Also, the key to any wiki article is linked studies. Anyone can edit a wiki article. I'd be disinclined to believe anything I read on these here 'nets if someone can't point to solid, peer-reviewed, scientific studies.

There are notorious edit wars on the psych meds wikipedia pages between scientologists and other anti-med freaks and people who want to present accurate information. That's why you have to take a lot of what you read there with a grain of salt. Too many of the people editing articles have an agenda to push.

I too would advise staying away from the wiki pages on psychiatric drugs, but they do sometimes have useful links.

The bottom line, too, that I ALWAYS ask myself is, what kind of life do I WANT TO HAVE RIGHT NOW??

even if my meds cause me a little brain atrophy or reduced life expectancy (which I genuinely doubt, by the way) so will untreated bp and I am about a billion times more likely to suicide or at the very least be psychotic, delusional, or a complete blob on the couch unable to do anything. I don't want that kind of life, I want the life I have now, which is... peaceful, functional, helpful to others.

I am on a very complicated med regimen which has led to phsyical side effects that need to be treated and may well reduce my life expectancy given my genetic hx and heart attack hx in my family.... but oh well. I'd rather live to fifty happy than 100 miserable. And I could suicide at 40 if I'm not treated.

So you really need to look at both sides, if you ARE going to read all the scary wiki articles. What kind of life do you want to have? you could get hit by a bus tomorrow, what state of mind do you want to be in WHEN not IF you go?

Anna

I'm so with Anna here. My life, unmedicated, is really not one worth having. I'm either an immobile slug, or a whirlwind of destruction. I can't even begin to imagine any long term effects of my meds that would make it better for me to stay off of them.

Will come in and add my .02, those (scare) articles never say, well, these meds (drugs, whatever else they may term it, gotta watch that) are gonna shorten your life, cause these SE's, but they also never point out what life is/will be like without them. I'm med compliant cuz, baby, I ain't going back there. Shit, the last 10 years of your life are the worst ones, the adult diaper...(I could go on but listen to/watch Denis Leary "No Cure for cancer", much better that way).

Give me meds or get the hell out of my way before I run you over to get them.

I think it is a good article. If one can read through it with a keen eye for over-blown statements and make sure there is a decent-looking citation for any big statements, then it is quite informative, especially for those of us who want to know a little more than webMD offers in terms of pharmacologic theories, etc. I actually really like wikipedia's treatment of mental-illness related topics.

Archived