CrazyBoards.org

how effective have antipsychotics been 4 you?

i found my miracle drug SEROQUEL XR. works better for me than clozaril for some strange reason. i say strange coz clozaril is hailed as a "miracle drug" for schizophrenia. while seroquel is meant to be the "weakest atypical" LOL just wondering guys how effective have antipsychotics been 4 u with regards to your schizophrenia?? for me seroquel xr has made it so i can function again. hasnt cured it but HEY i stopped visually hallucinating...

I'm not aware of any meaningful ranking of AAP's, according to relative strength, in the way you seem to imply. Different meds work best for different people, and it's just about impossible to predict what will be most effective for any given person.

I'm very glad you've found something that's working well for you.

When I was in an active psychotic phase AND taking my medicine (which was relatively...ok...very sporadic), I found the Seroquel did help quell a lot of my paranoid ideas and delusional fantasies.

It's always nice to hear of a medicine that finally works for someone, though. In many cases, it's a trial and error mess that ends up frustrating everyone involved.

I had a lot of success with Seroquil in treating my symptoms and at the time it was the best thing I had ever been on and I'm almost 40 and been off and on anti-psychotics since I was 15 - started with haldol (ick). Down side of them for me has always been sedation and I slept through most of the time I was on seroquil. The most recent one I have been put on is a miricle drug for me. Its Invega and is a 24 hour pill. At 6mgs - the usual dose I was still having delusions and auditory hallucinations but not as bad as before I started on it and at about the best it had ever been for me. My symptoms have been very resistive.

This last hospitalization last month we went up to 9mgs and I'm down to some distant background noises, occasional shadows moving across my feild of vision and my paranoid delusions seem to finally be under controle and I feel weirdly 'normal' for the first time I can recall. Because my symptoms are less from the PS, my depression seems to be better. I was deeply depressed about my level of functioning and feeling like I had some kind of minor stroke or something. I know now this was just the oddities in my perception of myself.

We are also using Lamictal along with it which is not an anti-psychotic but an anti seizure drug to help with my rapid mood swings. The drs I've had over the years seem to disagree on what these mood swings are but my fav book 'Surviving Schizophrenia' by E. Fuller Torry list mood swings as being one of the possible symptoms as well. Its hard to tell if its the Invega, Effexor or Lamictal that is helping with these mood swings - I'm talking about getting focused vividly on an immage of my Dad who was special and precious to me and not being able to stop crying because I couldnt stop vividly seeing him. I suspect its a combination on that one. I also had suicidal command voices this last time so that one is probably a mix, too???

To me the great think about Invega is the symptoms are under better control AND I feel more awake and mentally together at the same time. In fact I thought we needed to go down on the meds because I thought the meds were causing my confusion and listlessness but we actually went UP and it got better. I'd stopped taking my meds which is why I ended up in the hospital again - usual PS story :)

Guest Vapourware

There's no hierarchy of APs, the most effective AP is the one that is most effective for the individual. Which is part of the frustration of finding medication for people because everyone reacts differently to different drugs.

I've found ziprasidone to be great for dealing with my symptoms. I've basically been symptom-free since I started it in August.

seroquel is the 'weakest AAP" in the sense only of you need the most m.g.s to get an effect, not that it's ineffective. That's why you see, say, doses of 800 m.g. of quel vs 10 m.g. of abilify, but that doesn't mean seroquel is ineffective. It is incredibly effective for some people and was my "miracle drug" too for a time.

Anna

I'm not on abilify for schizophrenia but assuming you don't mind me talking about my reduction in symptoms anyway:

abilify has been a godsend for me in reducing my intrusive thoughts, my obsessive thoughts, and my anxiety in general. I would almost sooner give up my adderall, which is the only thing getting me out of bed, than my abilify.

Seroquel's definitely my "you'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands" med. It tempers the worst of my rage and psychotic breaks, and helps my head shut up so that I can get some sleep at night. Pdoc is busy adding clozapine after several months without it, and it seems that there's something about the chemistry/mechanisms of each of these two meds that means that they play really well together in my brain.

Seroquel's definitely my "you'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands" med.

Haha me too. Pity the side effects are shocking atm, but yep, they will have to wrench it from my grasp due to its antipsychotic success for me....

I take Clozaril and it works great for me. I take it for mood and for psychosis and it works great for both for me.

Other antipsychotics gave me nasty side effects, such as akathisia, stiff muscles, dysphagia.

Clozaril doesn't give me these side effects.

After years of battling a very psychotic-up-front form of bipolar disorder, I submit that antipsychotics are the most effective medications for my overall sanity. I can almost 100% say that I would be dead at this time if it were not for the invention of antipsychotic drugs. I have tried removing them from my regimen twice, and both times have brought up severe consequences after a month or two has passed.

Archived