CrazyBoards.org

Since starting saphris, the wonder drug, my attentional issues are better controlled than I can remember their ever being, for the most part that's great. But, when I'm wanting to, say, do some reading for school, and vaguely pay some attention to a movie in the background, that kind of divided attention thing is just not happening the way it always has, and I'm not liking it.

All APs will counter the effects of your stimulants to some degree. That could be a factor here.

I've found that when mixing APs and stimulants you always have to dose the AP so that you're walking a tightrope between having an effective stimulant dose and being symptomatic with whatever you're taking the AP for.

that kind of divided attention thing is just not happening the way it always has, and I'm not liking it.

Just think how much better your papers are going to be!! Your whole mind will be writing the essay instead of half.

I'm kidding, sort of. This country has issues with divided attention. Look at television. We can no longer watch a TV show without a news ticker at the bottom, ugly cartoon people dancing around telling us what show is up next, million logos, etc. I'll never forgot reading some live blogs on my computer while hubby was downstairs listening to Obama debate McCain. Bloggers were typing responses AT THE SAME TIME as the politicos were talking. How could those bloggers really be listening to anything?

But I think you must mean something different. My brother does his computer programming while the TV is on and I swear it focuses his mind more on his work. Maybe instead of the TV you could put on some background music?

Edit: Thinking about multi-tasking -- I like to listen to books on tape while I paint. When I brush my teeth I prop up the New Yorker, call someone when doing the dishes. My mind often needs a few things happening. At work, I edit an audio waveform, calm down an irate client, pop in a mini dv and answer my cell all at the same time. Because I can do that quickly, capably and thoroughly my employers love me. But multi-tasking talent can be both good and bad. Doing just one thing at a time with full mindfulness rocks.

Honey, no one multi-tasks. They switch rapidly. Saphris slowed your switching, and maybe increased your focus. Maybe you need less Dex. I mean, Saphris might be magnifying the focus of your Dex, in which case, you'd need less. Then again, it might just be slowing your brain. That sort of is the purpose of antipsychotics. Big, bad tranquilizers, if you will. It could be something you adjust to in time, or it could indicate that a little less Saphris would work for you. And of course, it could be one of those side effects you just have to learn to cope or bail on the med. How are you at situations like Water described? More real life, important ones. After all, TV is not really all that interesting. It actually is meant to be watched with only half a mind, so I get it despite finding TV not very important.

All APs will counter the effects of your stimulants to some degree. That could be a factor here.

I've found that when mixing APs and stimulants you always have to dose the AP so that you're walking a tightrope between having an effective stimulant dose and being symptomatic with whatever you're taking the AP for.

Except... Attentional issues have gotten way, way, way, better since I started Saphris. So I don't think this is exactly what's going on here.

Stacia is right about multi-tasking. It's really just switching from one thing to the other. It's more of a coping mechanism than anything else. At least for me I get tired/board/frustrated with whatever I'm doing so I switch to something else for a while, then to something else, then pick up again with the first task I started. Studies have shown that while it feels like you get more done that way, in reality it's less efficient than doing one thing at a time.

Honey, no one multi-tasks. They switch rapidly. Saphris slowed your switching, and maybe increased your focus. Maybe you need less Dex. I mean, Saphris might be magnifying the focus of your Dex, in which case, you'd need less. Then again, it might just be slowing your brain. That sort of is the purpose of antipsychotics. Big, bad tranquilizers, if you will. It could be something you adjust to in time, or it could indicate that a little less Saphris would work for you. And of course, it could be one of those side effects you just have to learn to cope or bail on the med. How are you at situations like Water described? More real life, important ones. After all, TV is not really all that interesting. It actually is meant to be watched with only half a mind, so I get it despite finding TV not very important.

It's definitely not a brain slowing thing. Maybe multitasking was a poor choice of words, whatever.

The point here would be, all my whole life long, in order to focus on any given task at hand, rather than whatever might be bouncing around in my own endlessly fascinating head, I've needed to have some kind of background something or other going on. Pretty common phenomenon, in the realm of ADHD. Most recently, that's meant assorted movies, streaming via the wonders of netflix. Since starting Saphris, I can seem to just attend to whatever, without the backgrounding. Mostly, that's great. But, it's different, and different is always kind of disorienting.

So, you know, something that's technically an improvement can also be kind of weird. That is all.

Stacia is right about multi-tasking. It's really just switching from one thing to the other. It's more of a coping mechanism than anything else. At least for me I get tired/board/frustrated with whatever I'm doing so I switch to something else for a while, then to something else, then pick up again with the first task I started. Studies have shown that while it feels like you get more done that way, in reality it's less efficient than doing one thing at a time.

I'm really talking more about attending to multiple things at once, than actively doing multiple things at once, if that makes sense at all? And that seems to be totally doable, not just subjectively. Attending is so much about filtering out the assorted incoming stimuli, and picking out the personally relevant/ important parts, and disconnecting from interior monologue/daydreamy/whatever stuff.

Archived