CrazyBoards.org

Increase celexa before period

My psychiatrist and her collegue performed a study done at the University of Pennsylvania regarding PMS and PMDD. If you didn't know, there is a version of prozac, named serafem, which you only take the week leading up to your period and then you stop the 2nd day of menstruation. Since I am already taking celexa, 30mg, and wellbutrin sr 100mg, throughout the entire month, my psychiatrist ups my dosage 6 days before my period to 50mg celexa. I though it was a little dangerous at first because I didn't know if I should be up and down like that.

However, I was doing some research on line about this topic and this is somewhat of what I read. The article claims the reason it works is because when starting a new antidepressant one of the first symptoms to get better is the irritablity. It usually calms down the first week of treatment. Hearing that made me put 2 and 2 together and realized it was okay. Also, only increasing your dosage for 6 days isn't anything to be concerned about. I haven't really experienced any withdrawal decreasing or side effects increasing. I admit I am still a little skeptical about the whole plan, but , my dr. is very smart and I just have to trust her knowlegde. I hate darn hormones they mess everything up!!! All in all, if you suffer from pms, mostly more, pmdd, you should talk to you dr. about increasing your antidepressant (one that effects serotonin, b/c estrogen imbalance i.e. menstruation, effects serotonin) a week to 10 days before your period. I do believe it has kept me more mellow, compared to the monster I used to be. Thanks for listening;) Also, leave me some feedback if you have ever heard of this being dangerous or safe, etc.

Archived