CrazyBoards.org

I posted this on crazymeds, too, so please don't hate me for double posting or anything. Does anyone know how long zyprexa would last, say, if I cut a 2.5mg pill in half? I know people have said it oxidizes, but how long does it take? Could I cut a few and lay them out for the week? Or is this bad mojo? Thanks!

1.25mg of Zyprexa isn't enough to block D2 in the order needed to quell psychosis. In the one chart I have access to of Zyprexa dose in mg vs. Dopamine antagonism percentage, there isn't even any recognition of any dopaminergic action until around 3mg, and even that is far below the 60% most doctors say is needed to quell psychosis.

If you are taking Zyprexa for mood symptoms, you still are only looking at serotonin blockade of about 30% at 1.25mg (again, you want 60 or more to have effect).

As bipolar patients take it for both things, you are still likely not getting any effect at that dose. You might be a little tired from the anti-histiminergic action, but that's about it.

Wait. 2 2.5mg pills is 5mg. Is that what you would mean?? If so, then, yes, you are getting near the 60% D2 blockade and you are around 90% serotonin (subtype 2A) blockade. So, that is a good thing. I take 10mg a day and don't have many side-effects, so it might be worth going up.

As for physically cutting them, I find it difficult, even with a pill-cutter. I have tried cutting 20mg tablets before (which are a little different looking) and it is damned near impossible to dose right. Just get the right dose scripted by your doctor next time and ride it out for a few more weeks on the higher dose.

Archived