CrazyBoards.org

Keloids.

I'm not sure if this topic has run before, as i'm new but i'm wondering how many of you have any keloid scars from self harm? I have them all up my foreharm and on my legs, not many on my legs as I find it better to do my arms. Not my wrist though, as no matter how hard I press it always turns into a little scratch and I hate that personally.

I have found that, for the itching, it helps a lot to apply aloe or vitamin E oil right out of the shower, and then to apply a high quality moisturizer several times a day. I use Aquaphor. It's kinda expensive, but it really works. Lidocaine ointment really helps, as well.

More the reason to find alternatives.

This is one of the things I wish I could adequately explain to people, like my niece, who are becoming or considering becoming involved in SI: how horrible it is to have scars like this. So yes, I would definitely second you here, Rowen.

We don't condone self harm here, this is a board for helping people quit, we don't romanticize self harm. It's not the right place on advice for cutting techniques.

I have a love-hate relationship with mine, as well. However, I've come to acknowledge that there are better ways of expression. I'm not ashamed of them; I recognize that they are a part of who I have been, so I'm not ashamed to have them there, anymore than I'm ashamed of the tattoo I got for my twenty first birthday, or the scars on my elbow I got dancing with my mom when I was very small. All these things are marks of the life I've led, so I accept them for that value.

I don’t want to be nasty, but this is certainly not a contest. It may seem as though you have to prove yourself, or as though no one will take you seriously if you don't one-up them. However, I for one am more interested in the person you may be aside from the SI. I would rather see others for who they truly are, and in turn have them see more than these scars when they look at me. I don't know who I am, and judgment certainly does me no favors in finding out.

Just my unsolicited two cents.

Archived