CrazyBoards.org

Why patients are saying 'I want to be bipolar'

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/8609461.stm

I'm not sure i understand the point of this article when their example of someone self-diaqgnosing was later dx with bp.

Mental illness has long been considered a stigma, with people often going to great lengths to hide the fact that they have problems.

Stephen Fry's story has inspired others to come forward

But now there has been a new phenomenon.

In this week's Scrubbing Up psychiatrist Dr Diana Chan explains that some people are actually asking to be diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

For many years, there has been a huge stigma attached to mental illness.

This has evolved from the days of institutionalisation in the asylums, psychiatric treatments such as electroconvulsive therapy and media coverage of schizophrenia-related deaths.

Given the stigma, it seems highly unusual that there is now a group of people who are actively seeking out a diagnosis of a mental disorder and want to be known as bipolar.

edited by Stacia to comply with copywrite rules

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would anyone "want to be bipolar"? Maybe the increased awareness leads to more cases of people self-diagnosing, but that surely is because they have some problems and have come to that conclusion, not because they actually want to be sick, right?

I agree. I'm sure the percentage of people that want to be mentally ill is low. I can tell you that I did tell the doctor that i thought I was, because it would help me. Not because I want to be MI, because I already was. It just needed the right name.

People want to be Bipolar? That is just stupid, Bipolar is not something fun or enjoyable. They should give these people some of the meds we have to take on a daily basis and see how long they want to be Bipolar. MI has left a wake of destruction in my life, never would I have wished this on myself or others. It takes a large amount of work to be on top of this disorder, meds, therapy, blood tests, mood charts, sleep charts, support groups, monthly pdoc visits. It took me awhile to accept the fact that I had Bipolar, for people to want this is really upsetting.

I think self-diagnosing is unhealthy. If you start reading upon a diagnosis and you think you have it you wil become attached to it, and if you seek help about it and the doctor says 'you're not (insert favored diagnosis) the patient could become upset and annoyed because they have taught themselves that they are the favored diagnosis when infact, they aren't.

Wouldn't someone have to be at least mentally unhealthy to think they are and want to be mentally ill? I mean not necessarily bipolar, but something.

That's true.

I'm not sure what I think of the article. If people are more aware and recognizing symptoms, I think that's a good thing. Thinking positively about people with bp is good, too, I think. I do agree with the article that there needs to be more awareness of other mi like schizophrenia as well.

It's my belief that self-diagnosis will lead to the wrong diagnosis. Pretty sure thats why we have medical professionals. Are we talking about hypochondriacs or people who want to be Bipolar because it's cool. I'm all for reducing the stigma on any MI, but at the cost of over glorification? MI is not fun and for people to think it is, is harmful to anyone with a MI.

Note that the article is not a news article. It is an opinion column called Viewpoint. It is just that doctor's point of view. Not to be confused with a fact. So maybe she had a few patients who 'wanted to be bipolar'. For me this is a non issue.

Note that the article is not a news article. It is an opinion column called Viewpoint. It is just that doctor's point of view. Not to be confused with a fact. So maybe she had a few patients who 'wanted to be bipolar'. For me this is a non issue.

Thank you. I saw this posted elsewhere and wanted some thoughts because there weren't examples in the article of what they were describing and it confused me.

It's my belief that self-diagnosis will lead to the wrong diagnosis.

Not always. I knew I had bipolar disorder for years before I was willing to get a Dx and start treatment. My grandmother, father and brother all had/have bipolar disorder, I have had many friends that have it, so it didn't take me much deduction to know. Same goes for my son-- we've known he has ADHD for a long time, but until it really became an issue for him, we did not get a Dx or treatment.

However, in neither case did I go in to the doctor's office saying that I/my son had the disorder.

I'm glad that I'm in with the cool crowd though. It's super keen having bipolar disorder.... :rolleyes:

I understand the article is an opinion, just as my posts were. Again I think this does nothing to reduce the stigma and only damages our struggle. Maybe I should say my struggle.

"A new diagnosis of bipolar disorder might also reflect a person's aspiration for higher social status and a feeling that by having the condition they too are creative"

Terrible stuff right there in my opinion. I feel that it lessens the reality that is Bipolar. I want higher social status so I'm gonna say say I have Bipolar? What a load of crap. Publishing an article like this does nothing to reduce stigma and is harmful, is my point.

I was first diagnosed as Paranoid Schizophrenic but hated the dx because I felt I could not tell anyone about it because there is such a stigma and I also thought the dx was wrong. I thought (because of delusional thinking) that I must be bipolar with psychotic traits since the same medications - mostly - were used in treating both. I changed Drs and told the new Dr that I was bipolar and he made it the dx Schizo-affective Bipolar Disorder after I was hospitalized by him for psychosis and delusional thinking.

This last time I went with the Dr I was given at the hospital and told them honestly the whole story-including the deception- and from my symptoms he believes I am both but rapid cycling. So I guess you could say I 'wanted' to be bipolar but it was because I had something else - both? I still feel like its not all sorted out and I'm a bit confused. In the end he says he treats the symptoms not the laundry list of labels.

Oh yeah! And what could be more groovy than having been raised by untreated bipolar parents?

That must have been rough. My father has no dx, but I wonder if he has untreated bp. He gets really involved in projects. He's mellowed a lot, but he used to rage and was unpredictable. My brother had untreated bp and was very symptomatic and it effected everyone. Very chaotic. I tried to be invisible.

Oh yeah! And what could be more groovy than having been raised by untreated bipolar parents?

Being raised by an alcoholic mother & an untreated bipolar father with major rage issues, that's what! ;)

Cuz nothing helps a kid grow up mentally healthy more than some neglect and abuse...

Being raised by an alcoholic mother & an untreated bipolar father with major rage issues, that's what! ;)

Cuz nothing helps a kid grow up mentally healthy more than some neglect and abuse...

You said it! I bet a lot of us grew up with MI in the family. And then we might luck out and get the pleasure of raising kids with MI, too. Wouldn't everyone want to be like us? I bet if we could put MI in a bottle and sell it, we could make millions!

In all honesty, I would rather have bipolar than schizophrenia. When I first met my psychiatrist she said in her own words she "hopes" it's bipolar because it would be easier to treat. I don't want either of these illnesses but if I had to have one, I'd rather it be bipolar. I might be schizoaffective, but it's still too early to tell.

I don't understand this at all, why do people want to be bipolar? What kind of "status" does it give you? Pretty much all I've known from being bipolar is that people look down on me, avoid me, think I'm crazy, what kind of status is that? This is a strange world.

Archived