CrazyBoards.org

Concentration and Memory

Does anyone here find that when concentration goes, it's harder to remember things.. to the point of having to be retold entire conversations that you were apart of because you don't recall having them? Remembering the majority of things and not thinking that anything is missing until it pops up?

Anything like this at all?

Edit: And I don't mean just not paying attention. You are, but sometimes when you forget about it, you really forget about it.

How much do you usually forget? Any specific conditions?

With me, ever since I took Zyprexa (which affected my ability to concentrate), my memory has gone downhill. I went from remembering everything every time, to blacking out when I drank (and not alot), to losing my memory when I took Ambien, to the time period between taking my night meds and going to bed, to not remembering things before even taking the meds, and now to forgetting in the middle of the day.

The thing is, if I concentrate really hard on something.. I remember it. In all the above situations. So I'm pretty sure (especially since it kept happening between being medicated and not) that the increase is proportionate to the lowering ability to concentrate. At least I'm hoping that's all it is.

It's like the stuff never happened. For example, in the recent daytime one, I went in to see Jenn. She had just gotten an antibiotic that I'd never heard of and told me all about it and going to see her ENT. I walk in the next day and ask what the med is - I've never heard of it.

I do the nodding thing alot myself. I feel like an idiot, but I figure it's the best way to handle it most of the time.

Yeah, Alzheimer's runs in my family, so it's in the back of my mind. Not so much that I'm actually experiencing it.. rather that I worry that the memory problems now will affect the possible development in the future. There's no way to know.

Do you think this type of memory loss has a relation to ADHD type stuff or that it just occurs evenly across the board?

Do you think this type of memory loss has a relation to ADHD type stuff or that it just occurs evenly across the board?

I've never thought to see if there was a relationship to the ADD stuff. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

The project at work really bothers me. I have absolutely no recollection of any of it. It's kinda scary.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

I understand why.. that's a big thing to miss. I think the whole thing is scary.. very much so. It's been on the back burner with me for awhile because I wanted to tackle the Depression issue first, but now it's gotten to the point where I just can't ignore it. I don't know what to do about it though.

I do know that Vyvanse is currently in a Depression study to see if it helps with concentration. It just started so it'll probably be awhile, but I'm very interested in the results.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. All my life, people pull instances that I was a part of that frankly I don' remember. It get's especially frustrating when it's important to me, or when it supposedly proves i'm guilty of said crime i am being accused of at said moment. For all I know people are lying to me and I'm living somewhere in canada, my memory gets so bad. Frankly the pot didn't help.

I forget stuff all the time, but anything related to therapy is different. I can remember things that I said years ago. details of conversations, all sorts of stuff. Its like another part of my brain is turned on just for that 45min session. Wish I could do it all the time =(

I bet a psych / neurology researcher would have fun figuring that out, lol.

I forget things to the point of disability, but was turned down. What did I forgot to tell the judge?(he refused to allow me to use notes) I forget to tell him about my extreme memory problems. It's not just forgetting conversations. I cannot reliably remember my address, phone number, ss number, what I did yesterday, what you said five minutes ago, etc.

I hung four pictures on the bathroom wall that I have no memory of doing, or even planning and did a nice job.

I also "remember" things that never happened and conversations that never occurred.

Whether it's from ADHD, meds, or something else or a combination, I don't know. I've always lost stuff and forgotten things, but this is a whole new, and very scary level.

I used to have an awesome memory. I can still remember things in detail from when I was very young. I can remember lots of conversations, events, etc that happened in the past. I have huge gaps from the times when I was having an episode and/or was on medication. I've noticed a decrease in my ability to remember things since I've been on meds this time. I can't remember much about movies I watch, things I see in the news, conversations I've had. It's annoying, but I can deal with it. The main problem is at work, I can't remember how to do things (monthly tasks, not daily ones), conversations with coworkers, things my boss asks me to do. Taking Ritalin helps my focus and in turn, my memory, but only a little. I'm pretty sure my meds are to blame.

Archived