CrazyBoards.org

IIs this normal?

I've been sleeping a lot during the day, but yesterday I forced myself to stay up. I didn't get much done, but at least I was awake. I thought I would sleep well last night, but I had trouble sleeping and was up most of the night. I've been posting here and other discussion boards more than normal. I'm having trouble focusing so I think some of my posts aren't too helpful. I've been a little down for a long time, but relatively stable. I'm not sure if I just forgot what it's like to feel energized. I'm not really worried because I'm doing fine, just wondering what this is, if anything.

Hi confused,

I was just wondering what dosages of the medications you are taking. They added Wellbutrin to my medications when lingering depression would not go away and it really helped. I'm puzzed about the lexapro, for me taking an ssri always screwed with me and it would definitely affect my sleep cycle.

Also my doctor said that humans naturally sleep in a 28 hour cycle and its hard for us to sleep in a 24 hour cycle and he seemed to imply that for bi-polar people its really hard.

I also read in an article that for bi-polar people we really need to try to sleep in complete darkness that it's really important...any light really affects our sleep and sleeping pattern...

Also I find that Lamictal gives me a lot of dreams does it for you?

Hi confused,

I was just wondering what dosages of the medications you are taking. They added Wellbutrin to my medications when lingering depression would not go away and it really helped. I'm puzzed about the lexapro, for me taking an ssri always screwed with me and it would definitely affect my sleep cycle.

Also my doctor said that humans naturally sleep in a 28 hour cycle and its hard for us to sleep in a 24 hour cycle and he seemed to imply that for bi-polar people its really hard.

I also read in an article that for bi-polar people we really need to try to sleep in complete darkness that it's really important...any light really affects our sleep and sleeping pattern...

Also I find that Lamictal gives me a lot of dreams does it for you?

I take 10 mg lexapro 300mg wellbutrin 200 mg lamictal and 20mg abilify. Usually I feel fatigued. I'm not sure if it's the meds or what that makes me so tired. I had trouble sleeping in the past, but I've been sleeping well now. I haven't noticed more dreams.

I'm feeling less amped up so I guess it just was a problem with my sleep cycle

I heard somewhere and no, I don't remember where, that if you're going to try to change your bedtime you should do it gradually. By 15 minutes every couple of nights until you have it where you want it. You know, the more I think about this, the more I think I might be remembering this from one of those child rearing books. Oh well, should work for adults too. :)

Thank you. I thought staying up would make me sleep better, but maybe it was too much change

I'm also on Wellbutrin (Extended release) and Lamictal and at the same dosages. I take the Wellbutrin in the morning because it's activating (energizing) and the Lamictal at night. I only take Lamictal at night because my doctor tells me to but it doesn't make me sleepy. I used to be on Abilify and when I was I used to take it at night. I don't think any of these medications should make you sleepy during the day the one I would look at closely is the Lexapro. Potential side effects of Lexapro include insomnia and sedation which are two things you are having trouble with. Sleepiness and insomnia can paradoxically be side effects of SSRIs. Of course you can see that I'm not a fan of SSRIs and I'm biased against them also I don't know what is the circumstances of why you are taking the Lexapro. You should discuss these things with your doctor and see what he thinks about it. See what you can come up with and some kind of solution. Getting good sleep is very important for us bi-polar people...

I've been told by my doc that I'll always be battling to maintain a regular sleeping pattern because of my diagnosis. It's something I have to work on everynight. I've been given melatonin to take when I'm desperate, and that does help when my pattern gets really whacked up, but I always end up back where I started - not being able to sleep at night and, if I'm lucky, sleeping during the day. Usually what happens is I'll go a few days sleepless then spend a week struggling to stay awake before I can start to get my pattern back to what is 'normal'.

Maybe talk to your doc about Melatonin (Aussie name - unsure of it's US name). It's a sleep regulator and I've found it very effective.

Thanks

I have ambien I can take if I need, but usually by the time I realize I should take it, it's late and I don't want to wake up groggy. I took the ambien last night and slept well. I just felt off yesterday, kinda jittery, but so far I feel fine today.

I've heard of melatonin, but never tried it.

I take the lexapro for anxiety and depression. I'm a very anxious person and it helps a lot. My meds are geared more towards depression, but I still have this mild feeling of sadness, apathy and fatigue. Therapy is helping.

Melatonin is available for cheap in pretty much any pharmacy or grocery story here in the US. For some people it can help for other it might not at all.

I guess just be sure to discuss all this with your therapist and specially with your psychiatrist. Being on 4 medications means that there could be all sorts of things going on and some adjustments could be needed and he could do some tweaking that could make you feel better...

Also exercise is a great way to fight depression and to help with sleep. Perhaps add some kind of activity to your day like walking or jogging.

What helps with my anxiety is just to remember acceptance. We can't control people, places or things. We can't change the past nor do we really have much control about the future. Usually for me I worry about things that never manifest or they pretty much work themselves out or there isn't anything I could do anything about.

Melatonin is available for cheap in pretty much any pharmacy or grocery story here in the US. For some people it can help for other it might not at all.

I guess just be sure to discuss all this with your therapist and specially with your psychiatrist. Being on 4 medications means that there could be all sorts of things going on and some adjustments could be needed and he could do some tweaking that could make you feel better...

Also exercise is a great way to fight depression and to help with sleep. Perhaps add some kind of activity to your day like walking or jogging.

What helps with my anxiety is just to remember acceptance. We can't control people, places or things. We can't change the past nor do we really have much control about the future. Usually for me I worry about things that never manifest or they pretty much work themselves out or there isn't anything I could do anything about.

Thank you. I walk but it's not a regular routine for me yet. I agree that getting exercise will help.

My worries are similar. Things that already happened or what might happen. I'm trying to not let my memories interfere with the present. I am doing much better than in the past.

I've had a lot of med tweaking and my pdoc wants me to have some consistency so he's not changing anything for now. I do feel more steady without adjusting to med changes.

Archived