CrazyBoards.org

Can thyroid issues trigger a relapse?

All I know is that up until September, I was eating. Probably not enough, but i was eating. Around September, I just stopped. In December, I saw my GP and mentioned I wasn't eating and she ran blood work. My THS levels were low, so I had to go back for an ultrasound and a radio active iodine uptake test. The ultrasound showed nodules and the radio active test showed a goiter.

I've lost a good bit of weight and when they referred me to an endocrinologist, my appointment wasn't till next month. I'm very irritable, I don't want to eat and when I do I get diahrea. I called the endocrinologist and told them how much weight I've lost and they got me in earlier. All my symptoms are hyper thyroid. I told the endocrinologist how much weight I've lost, that I don't want to eat, and I spend most of the morning in the bathroom and my supervisor at work is being a total bitch about it.

She's not really doing anything about it. She ordered more blood work and just said it looked better than last time, so she wasn't prescribing me any thyroid meds and just ordered a beta blocker to slow my heart rate down and suggested I call my psychiatrist about the whole mood thing.

None of my work clothes fit any more. I tried eating junk food the past few nights and put on a few pounds. My period actually showed up and as soon as it did, my appetite went away again. I wound up eating nachos at like midnight the other night and STILL lost 2 lbs that morning. As of this morning, I've lost all the weight I gained eating quorn nachos and tartex for 4 days straight.

My follow up appointment with the endocrinologist isn't till APRIL! All she's given me is a beta blocker I'm scared to take because I'm also on clonidine for sleep.

Can hyperthyroid cause a relapse in eating disorders? Everything I've read said I should be starving, but I have no appetite at all and I don't want to eat because I'll be in the bathroom all morning, my supervisor will say something about it, and my mood is so bad right now, I just want to tell her to go fuck herself and walk out

i don't know about ED relapse specifically from hyperthyroidism. i do know when i was hyper, i was hungry and thirsty ALL THE TIME and still lost weight rapidly. it didn't kill my appetite. however, i haven't been hyperthyroid since my early 20's, and i didn't have an ED then (i'm 40 now, had the radioactive iodine kill my thyroid, now i'm permanently hypothyroid).

what does trigger a relapse for me is anything upsetting to my digestive system in general (meds, etc). so if i were having to spend my mornings in the bathroom like you, i'd start avoiding food and my appetite would die, too. the ED part starts to come in when i take advantage of being physically compromised in order to lose even more. i really really hope that's not where it's going with you.

i hope you can find a solution soon. the whole thing sounds really awful. imo take the beta blocker, too - your heart rate is probably too high if you don't.

Can hyperthyroid cause a relapse in eating disorders? Everything I've read said I should be starving, but I have no appetite at all and I don't want to eat because I'll be in the bathroom all morning, my supervisor will say something about it, and my mood is so bad right now, I just want to tell her to go fuck herself and walk out

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:CfqzQBihEJIJ:www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Cancer--Nodules--Hyperthyroidism/Hyperthyroid-But-No-Appetite/show/264703+hyperthyroid+appetite&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Hyperthyroid increases your metabolism that would normally result in alot of weight loss, except it also (usually) increases your appetite. Meaning that it's possible to actually gain.

However, that's just the norm. Some people actually experience a loss of appetite. The combo of eating less and having a fast metabolism results in significant weight loss. It's this combo that can indeed bring out an ED simply because of the similarity. You're getting the same results so it's hard not to connect the two and have them feed each other.

I know that the bathroom stuff could probably be helped with taking some pro-biotics. They're the bacteria found in yogurt that helps your digestive tract stay normal. I have IBS and have actually found that taking a pro-biotic when I need it actually helps more than Imodium Advanced. It's alot cheaper too and has no side-effects whatsoever because it's not a 'med' just bacteria.

Other than convincing them or even a gdoc (actually a very good idea as they are quite capable of handling Thyroid issues - my treatment has been only through them & they are more likely to be concerned with the unhealthy weightloss) to give you hyper-t meds purely for this reason, even though your results are more normal, and then forcing yourself to eat at least a little.. I'm not sure what to do. Going more towards Hypo will slow down your metabolism and may or may not help your appetite - but that's more than nothing. Plus you wouldn't have to force yourself to eat as much when you don't have such a deficit to make up for.

This is definitely something to be concerned about. The "wait and see" approach is not really appropriate here.

Archived