CrazyBoards.org

How does Topamax affect Lithium levels?

Since I got the call from my neurologist earlier this week saying that my EEG was normal and there was no seizure activity, I'm assuming that I'm probably going to hear from him that I'm going to be slowly weaned off of Topamax when I see him in March.

Now I've read on the internet including CrazyMeds that Topamax affects Lithium levels.

So, I'd like to know, how does Topamax affects Lithium Levels at my current dose and if I were to go down and off the med?

(I'm not going to adjust any medication without the consultation of my doctors. I would never adjust my medications without seeing my doctor first.)

Thanks,

Andy.

Since I got the call from my neurologist earlier this week saying that my EEG was normal and there was no seizure activity, I'm assuming that I'm probably going to hear from him that I'm going to be slowly weaned off of Topamax when I see him in March.

Now I've read on the internet including CrazyMeds that Topamax affects Lithium levels.

So, I'd like to know, how does Topamax affects Lithium Levels at my current dose and if I were to go down and off the med?

(I'm not going to adjust any medication without the consultation of my doctors. I would never adjust my medications without seeing my doctor first.)

Thanks,

Andy.

Well, as Jerod said over on CrazyMeds, it is possible it could be either.

I would lean toward it raising the serum levels of lithium, as that's what I'm mostly finding.

However there is, for example, the study linked to on CM, where it has dropped.

Linky one

Then again, it could depend on your dose:

"In healthy volunteers, topiramate at a dosage of 200 mg/day has been found to exhibit little or no pharmacokinetic interaction with lithium. However, increases of 27% in peak concentration (Cmax) and 26% in systemic exposure (AUC) of lithium have been observed following topiramate dosages of up to 600 mg/day. "

Pretty much, just get your levels checked and see where you are if you do end up dropping the topiramate.

Archived