CrazyBoards.org

Should I even think about coming off meds?

I had a psychotic episode almost a year ago. My psychiatrist, at the time, told me I maybe able to come off my medication in about two years. A year has passed and I'm wondering if I should even think about it. It sounds too dangerous to me. I am scared of what might happen.

Guest Vapourware

Personally if you have schizoaffective, it's best to be on drugs indefinitely because there's the chance of relapse. I would imagine that the reason why you haven't had an episode since the last one is that the medication is working.

As a bipolar person, I would never dream of coming off meds completely. I do reduce dosages when I'm not episodic, but that's as far as I'm willing to take it. you may wish to ask your doc why he feels that may be possible for you to get more clarity on the issue.

Anna

Anna ~ what you said stuck me as very wise. I'm BP2 and episodic currently, but that kinda gives me some hope that the dosages may not stay this high (with so many meds) forever. Thanks.

As a bipolar person, I would never dream of coming off meds completely. I do reduce dosages when I'm not episodic, but that's as far as I'm willing to take it. you may wish to ask your doc why he feels that may be possible for you to get more clarity on the issue.

Anna

The dx in her signature says the SZA is unconfirmed (at least that is what I get from the word "possibly"). If her pdoc only suspects a posive/negative symptom component of SZ and she hasn't had symptoms for two years that idea would at least make more sense then? I agree on the removal of meds with a mood disorder though, even if there hasn't been symptoms in a while...that doesn't usually bode well.

To the OP, even if coming off meds is an option that your pdoc is giving you, it shouldn't mean that you have to take it, especially if you don't want to. If you don't feel comfortable doing so, your pdoc should respect that decision.

In general, people with psychotic disorders will need to stay on meds, so as to avoid relapse. Occasionally, if someone has only had a single psychotic episode, with no breakthrough symptoms at all on meds, a pdoc can decide it makes sense to try slowly tapering meds. Even then, it seems extremely rare for anyone to be able to discontinue meds entirely. More frequently it can happen that someone finds he or she is able to remain stable at a lower dosage, with hopefully fewer side effects.

In your position, if your meds are effective, and you aren't experiencing big side effects, I probably wouldn't want to take the chance.

Personally if you have schizoaffective, it's best to be on drugs indefinitely because there's the chance of relapse. I would imagine that the reason why you haven't had an episode since the last one is that the medication is working.

Anna

The dx in her signature says the SZA is unconfirmed (at least that is what I get from the word "possibly"). If her pdoc only suspects a posive/negative symptom component of SZ and she hasn't had symptoms for two years that idea would at least make more sense then? I agree on the removal of meds with a mood disorder though, even if there hasn't been symptoms in a while...that doesn't usually bode well.

To the OP, even if coming off meds is an option that your pdoc is giving you, it shouldn't mean that you have to take it, especially if you don't want to. If you don't feel comfortable doing so, your pdoc should respect that decision.

In general, people with psychotic disorders will need to stay on meds, so as to avoid relapse. Occasionally, if someone has only had a single psychotic episode, with no breakthrough symptoms at all on meds, a pdoc can decide it makes sense to try slowly tapering meds. Even then, it seems extremely rare for anyone to be able to discontinue meds entirely. More frequently it can happen that someone finds he or she is able to remain stable at a lower dosage, with hopefully fewer side effects.

In your position, if your meds are effective, and you aren't experiencing big side effects, I probably wouldn't want to take the chance.

This is my first episode. And I was really hoping it was not schizophrenia because I do not want to take antipsychotics for life. But I guess I'm stuck with it. I do not want to take the chance. But I am petrified of getting td. I really am scared. I am on a very low dose of Abilify, 10mg. And I haven't had any symptoms since.

Archived