CrazyBoards.org

IP Board vs Facebook

I don't do Facebook and I don't understand it. Why isn't this type of social networking just as effective as Facebook? I'm not looking for a long detailed explanation, but I have toyed with the idea of joining Facebook. Maybe if know-nothings like myself understood Facebook vs IP Board, we could tweak the site?

Will, here is my take on the two sites.

Crazyboards (for me) is a place to talk to people about meds and therapy. I can ask questions about side effects of drugs and get a good answer from people who are taking the same ones. I can bitch about being depressed and the members here know exactly what I'm talking about.

Although I put my picture up, very few people here know my real name. An important facet of CB is the ability to remain anonymous.

There is also a social factor. We have a blog section and people write about their lives and their CB friends comment and it's a helpful, supportive atmosphere. Keep in mind that EVERYONE here has mental illness issues. Since we are all in the same boat, there is a sense of community.

On Facebook, I'm mostly keeping up with my nephews and nieces who live far away, and staying in touch with old high school and college friends. Many of them are at such a distance that I don't see them often, so it's great to hear about their activities, see pictures of their children, etc. I'm not as frank about my life there, because I'm not anonymous.

I definitely don't talk about depression on Facebook because most of my friends and family have no idea what I've gone through. They don't know about the meds and most of them would say "Oh, just keep a positive attitude and you'll get over it." Facebook is strictly social for me and replaces the phone calls and letters that we used to use to stay in touch with far-flung relatives and friends.

I don't know what you mean by "Tweaking" the site. This place or Facebook? What is it that needs tweaking?

olga

Ya for me it's CB for mental illness issues, intherooms.com for addiction issues, and facebook for friends and family. I prefer not to mention addiction issues or MI on Facebook because I have found out the hard way that most people do not understand. I also don't mention MI on intherooms.com cause I have found that they don't understand MI as well, which is kinda crazy but w/e. I must learn Acceptance!!!! :wacko:

Facebook is real life. You use your real name and talk to a lot of people you know in real life about stuff you're doing in real life. I've gotten back in touch with people I went to college, elementary school, and high school with as well as distant family members I've not seen since I was a kid. I get updates from other web sites and news services there.

Really, IPB has some social networking features but it's a web forum and not a social networking system at heart.

I have a FB account, but seldom use it and will probably close it soon. I feel too exposed there, and I'm kind of clueless about how to use it and feel stupid about that. Making mistakes in public is a special terror for me. I don't like games and think all the hugs or whatever people send is mostly fake and stupid. Just me though. If you like that sort of thing, have at it.

Here, I mostly feel safe and am anonymous where I want to be, and if I do/say something dumb/crazy, you guys seem to mostly understand and no one has ever been mean or judgmental about it.

Thanks all for the input. Olga, I (honestly) don't know what I meant by "tweaking the site." I guess I meant this site. Yet it seems OK as it is. I can have what I think is a great idea and then forget the idea 5 minutes later. I guess I was thinking of something more multi-dimensional, whatever that means.

And I started to open a Facebook account and it asked for personal info so I didn't start an account, and as a result I don't know what you can do on Facebook. From what I know, Facebook seems a simple concept. But then I'm not a programmer and don't know the difficulties.

Archived