CrazyBoards.org

Crying

Has anyone experienced a dulling of emotions after being treated versus before? I used to cry like nobody else- if I was mad, sad, happy, etc. I would just fall apart when I felt "overwhelmed" by my emotions and I'd cry. Now I don't do it. When I do start to cry, I think about how fake it feels and I stop.

It's the weirdest thing. This is something I've done since I was a kid. The only different is when I'm watching something on TV now if I empathize, now THAT'S when I have to fight tears. But I still successfully fight them, unlike before.

I think some of the meds you are taking could be causing dulling of emotions, of course, the other possibility is that you were hyper emotional before and absolutely anything would set of crying.

I seem to have an okay balance, where I cry when I need to but don't have to cry over everything.... Worth talking to pdoc and tdoc if you are concerned or things feel very abnormal.

Anna

I think some of the meds you are taking could be causing dulling of emotions, of course, the other possibility is that you were hyper emotional before and absolutely anything would set of crying.

I seem to have an okay balance, where I cry when I need to but don't have to cry over everything.... Worth talking to pdoc and tdoc if you are concerned or things feel very abnormal.

Anna

I actually like it. I told my pdoc about it and he asked a lot of questions but I really don't see it as a bad thing. I do think I was hyperemotional before. I don't feel completely unemotional just that it's dulled. That could come in handy when I'm upset in the future, because the crying was embarrassing.

Thanks

Guest Vapourware

When I was started treatment, I had the sensation of being dulled emotionally. It was like my emotions were flatlined and I felt a disconnect between myself and the world. In hindsight, I think the medication was working to balance me. When you swing from one emotional extreme to another constantly, anything that makes the swing less intense may seem like dulling.

I'm over the sensation now, it's a lot better now than it was. I think I'm largely used to it.

I'm glad you posted this. I'm having that emotionally dulled feeling now, and it's disturbing me somewhat. It is not horrible exactly, I'm not sure what to think of it. I have never been stable as long as I can remember, never been in between mood states for more than a few days really. I keep wondering is this going to be what it's like from now on? I guess only time will tell.

I hate it and it feels fake, but I cry easily about things that aren't personal or about me - Trying to relate a sad news story, commercials, sad posts on line, etc. When it's something personal that directly impacts me, for some reason I can't cry. I don't feel like my emotions are dulled. I don't understand why other people's stuff moves me more than my own sometimes. I'm sure there is a clinical term for this.

Maybe the personal stuff is too much to deal with outright and the external things are an outlet for all that pent up emotion.

Rabbit Ztu that's sort of what's going on with me. i really hope it's not a situation where everything is just pent up. But i cry about tv shows and talk shows but not when i normally would. However just today I cried because I'm sick, so I know I'm capable of crying about things that have to do with me so I hope my no-crying streak isn't over, but that I can just cry when a quote unquote normal person would. Being sick seems like a decent reason. ;)

Archived