CrazyBoards.org

Who here has heard about the new "adderall craze" among college students? Probably everyone. I'm one of those crazy kids. I occasionally buy and use adderall illicitly for academic reasons. Many people use it to party, but I can't imagine partying on this stuff. It makes me want to be alone and brilliant, rather than pumped up. Some people says it enhances sex, but I've never even masturbated on the stuff. Is that because I'm a girl?

Oddly enough, it doesn't make me hypomanic. Most people with BP aren't supposed to touch the stuff. If I take it when I AM hypomanic, it takes away my impulsiveness, agitation, and it kills my rage. If I'm depressed, it picks up my motivation, but in the aftermath, the depression gets worse.

I know that BP and ADHD share a lot of symptoms. I used to believe that I had ADHD, until I realized that my symptoms came and went depending on my mood. Why does Adderall seem to help my BP symptoms? It's a huge paradox.

Yeah I used to get the same effect. It made my depressions better and I could just be more focused. To be honest I think it was the most obviously positive and effective drug on lifting my mood that I have taken.

I think that it just helped me not be so scattered when I was manic, but occasionally it would make me really agitated.

Now though for whatever reason it doesn't do much. My pdoc prescribes adderall and vyvanse for me so I don't really think it's totally bad for BP people.

And yeah it's massively popular at my college.

Adderall might seem to be helping your BP symptoms because it generally improves executive function, which should cut down on things like impulsivity.

Or, it might be that what you think of as BP symptoms are more connected to an undiagnosed attentional issue than you realize.

A lot of people with both bipolar and ADHD seem to find that their ADHD symptoms are worse during mood episodes.

Plenty of people with bipolar, myself included, can take adderall or other stimulants without problems. You should talk to your pdoc about the possibility that you have ADHD. Tell him or her how the adderall has affected you when you've taken it, and go from there.

stimulants have an AD effect but it usually doesnt last. Be careful if you ever find yourself chasing that effect.

You may want to discuss the possibility of having ADD with your doc if its helped you. But be careful about admitting using it without a prescription, many docs are hesitant to give out prescriptions for amphetamines and benzos as it is.

To a person with ADHD, taking Adderall, or other stimulants, will actually calm them down, as opposed to getting them hyper. So most college kids taking Adderall will feel speedy effects, and if you do not, then there is a good chance you have ADHD. How the meds affect you is generally the tie breaker when it comes to getting diagnosed.

Archived