CrazyBoards.org

Trying to find the right Psych

Hello I am new here. I haven't been under the care of a psychiatrist for 6 or 7 years now. The reason I stopped was I was prescribed PAXIL CR and it would force me into these raging manias. I told my physician about these side effects and he just said thats normal. What a retard. Anyways further down the road, I have another manic episode that involved me chasing someone down with my vehicle and yanking them out of theirs. I received 3 years for that. So here I am today, really paranoid about taking anything because of what happened to me in the past. First I need to find a decent dr that I can trust. But I am super paranoid now about taking anything that messes with my serotonin reuptake. Does anyone have any advice for me? My cycling is becoming more frequent lately, i've had days where I go from normal to manic, then manic to depressed in the same day. I would like to get my bipolar under control so that I can function like a normal human being. I actually had to drop all of my classes this semester because I didn't want my GPA to suffer because of my illness. Thanks for reading.

Bipolar with rapid cycling.

I don't really have any great advice for you, but welcome. I "lucked" into my pdoc, she was referred to me by my OBGYN for post-partum depression that has since morphed into BP2. I think it is important to ask about their medication philosophy; for example, my pdoc gives the fewest number of and lowest doses of medications in her first attempt and I like that.

It really is about finding someone that you think is knowledgeable and that you trust. I'm assuming you don't have anyone that can give you a referral. I found my current pdoc by looking at the list of who accepts my insurance. Just be patient, it can take time to find a good pdoc and get on meds that work for you. I'm sorry that you're struggling and I hope that you can get the help that you need soon.

Talk to your medical doctor about what you want from a pdoc and see if they can recommend someone. When you try out any pdoc, tell him/her straight up what your concerns last time and what you don't want. If you're at odds about the fundamentals, you'll have to make a call about whether you stay or move on to someone else.

When you're given a pdoc's name, google it! You'd be surprised what comes up about some of them. I had a lousy therapist once (pre-google days). I googled a while ago and found some interesting dirt. Why did I google? I was thinking "is this bastard still practising and causing grief to others?". He is!

Good luck!!!

That sounds like mixed state dysphoria. You sound a LOT like me. I was on a couple different ADs for awhile and realized that I was getting these awful boughts of irritability. I was barely able to contain these episodes. Almost lost my job. Broke a lot of stuff as well as my hand. Fortunately I didnt totally flip on someone but I was really close.

I realized that at higher dosages, lexapro killed off that anger really well, but it also gave me awful apathy. Then it just stopped working on my depression entirely. It just seemed like for awhile either I was depressed or rageful depending on my dose. I tried topamax for awhile and it did help a lot with rage but the side effects were pretty bad. It also didnt help the depression much at all.

Im on zoloft now which was one of the meds that gave me irritiability. Im at 100mg but might back off to 75 since Im getting a little irritable and theres no benefit with the depression. I dont think its doing anything for that, only the fatigue. Im also going to the gym daily to help with fatigue but Im finding its a better antidepressant than the drugs I was given.

If youre worried about rage, I would get some zyprexa or something as a PRN solution while you titrate up on your antidepresant of choice. You may be like me and need to get a feel for where the best effect is, without the anger.

The alternative is a mood stabilizer or AAP. Id imagine topamax might work well on your anger it did for me.

If youre sure that you are indeed rapid cycling bipolar, youre pretty stuck there.. youll probably need a mood stabilizer and avoid SSRIs

You don't have to take AD's if you have a BP dx. AD's aren't that great for a lot of BP folks, anyway.

I don't blame you for being scared, but the alternative isn't so great. BP can be progressive. You may find yourself in bad shape if you don't get treatment.

Interview your docs carefully, ask around, get a referral if you can. It takes time, but eventually things work out.

Archived