CrazyBoards.org

To make a long story short, I ran out of my meds and completely crashed, I finally was able to get an emergency appointment for tomorrow, but I'm nervous about telling my pdoc about the suicidal and self injury thoughts that I was/have been having. I cant really afford to be committed, I have no insurance, and it's hard for me to miss work. Suggestions or thoughts on if I tell him or not?

Guest Vapourware

Having suicidal thoughts and thoughts of self harm won't necessarily mean the pdoc will decide to put you into the hospital. It depends on your intent, whether you have a method and whether you have a plan, and how far along those factors are. I think you should tell your pdoc, just so that your pdoc knows what is happening with you, because unless they have all the information, they can't help you. My personal experience has been that mental health professionals aren't into hospitalising their patients unless absolutely necessary.

It's important to share any suicidal and self harm thoughts, unless you have a specific plan with no ability to commit to safety and are completely unwilling to try to resume tx, it's unlikely that the doc will commit you in my experience.

Anna

Archived