CrazyBoards.org

do the nurses talk and gossip bout us?!?!?

im schizophrenic and i was wondering when you get admitted to the psych ward for whatever reason, do you think the psych nurses talk and gossip bout us as in the patients with mental illness. such as "haha that guy is crazy! what a freak" or whatever... also making fun of our bizarre behavior.. i mean the nurses are humans not machines and plus people talk!!! do you think im being paranoid or do you really think they gossip about the patients? and also they know personal stuff about you. do you think they tell other people bout the stuff they know?? just want some opinions....

My error, your past one was slightly different.

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/42986-why-are-psych-nurses-such-bitches/page__p__455205__fromsearch__1#entry455205

It's part of their job to observe your behavior and report on it to their supervisors, but I doubt they would say anything negative or demeaning about a patient.

They see thousands of mentally ill people a year. As long as you're not super violent or throwing your poop at people I don't think you'd be doing anything to stand out enough for them to comment on as being out of the ordinary.

Mostly I think you're being paranoid.

You've already started a topic about this.

nah that was about them being bitches... nothing 2 do with if they talk about us....

My nurse issues are quite different from yours. I'm into the uniforms.

They have to keep your information confidential so I doubt they talk to other people about us. If they are professional they don't gossip. And like VE said they see lots of patients so you probably wouldn't stand out. I wouldn't call it paranoid, but I don't think you need to worry.

Nurse Ratched: Aren't you ashamed?

Billy: No, I'm not.

[Applause from friends]

Nurse Ratched: You know Billy, what worries me is how your mother is going to take this.

Billy: Um, um, well, y-y-y-you d-d-d-don't have to t-t-t-tell her, Miss Ratched.

Nurse Ratched: I don't have to tell her? Your mother and I are old friends. You know that.

Billy: P-p-p-please d-d-don't tell my m-m-m-mother. :lol:

ETA: Quote taken from Mick Nichols' film, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest."

While I can not and will not say this for all nurses I have to say this for me and mine

yes nurses talk about you but it is not gossip we just talk about what is going on and the current presentation of your symptoms and ..yes how crazy you are right now ..is often a subject ESPECIALLY if you are exhibiting new behaviors ...as compared to "before" ..we wonder ..we worry ..we fret and we celebrate .......we are not BITCHES and that just makes me nuts sometimes to read here so I try to stay away from topics that start with that kind of thing...you can think we are gossipy bitches all you want but it is not true...your perception may be a nurse is being a bitch if you are expected to do something you do not want to do .. we get blamed for your state of illness more often than not either by "you" or "your families" ..because after all if you are not compliant who's fault do you think it is ..ourse? hardly but we get blamed! you feel like shit and we are bitches ..or we are gossiping or or or ..nevermind your brain is not well and we are having a heck of a time trying to get you to feel better....yes some bitches become nurses like bitches become anything else but most nurses celebrate your improvements and wellness and want you better ..I realize this is about gossipy nurses not bitchy nurses but since you obviously feel this way about both I will answer about both

gossip ..no ...but yes we do talk amongst ourselves about you but usually it is about ..what we can do to make your life better

good luck and please realize one of the hardest jobs in nursing is psych

Well said Wondernut....my cousin is a nurse in a psych ward and I agree it is probably one of the hardest places to do your job....the NICU is probably the only place I could think of that would be worse. Thanks to all the nurses out there....they never get the credit they deserve!

While I can not and will not say this for all nurses I have to say this for me and mine

yes nurses talk about you but it is not gossip we just talk about what is going on and the current presentation of your symptoms and ..yes how crazy you are right now ..is often a subject ESPECIALLY if you are exhibiting new behaviors ...as compared to "before" ..we wonder ..we worry ..we fret and we celebrate .......we are not BITCHES and that just makes me nuts sometimes to read here so I try to stay away from topics that start with that kind of thing...you can think we are gossipy bitches all you want but it is not true...your perception may be a nurse is being a bitch if you are expected to do something you do not want to do .. we get blamed for your state of illness more often than not either by "you" or "your families" ..because after all if you are not compliant who's fault do you think it is ..ourse? hardly but we get blamed! you feel like shit and we are bitches ..or we are gossiping or or or ..nevermind your brain is not well and we are having a heck of a time trying to get you to feel better....yes some bitches become nurses like bitches become anything else but most nurses celebrate your improvements and wellness and want you better ..I realize this is about gossipy nurses not bitchy nurses but since you obviously feel this way about both I will answer about both

gossip ..no ...but yes we do talk amongst ourselves about you but usually it is about ..what we can do to make your life better

good luck and please realize one of the hardest jobs in nursing is psych

I don't think there are many nurses stupid enough to share patient information with anyone outside the hospital.

As far as what they talk about amongst themselves, as long as I'm receiving good care from them, I really don't care all that much.

I think as long as you don't show up with something spectacular lodged in your rectum, nobody really cares enough to make more than a passing comment, or a professional assessment.

If, in fact, you DO arrive with something spectacular lodged irretrievably in your nether entrance, you have every right to expect anonymous fame for posterity 's sake.

By the way. At my workplace we do talk about the goofiness or annoyances of our clientele while on break or at lunch together. We all need to blow off steam related to our work. I don't think that sort of talk is malicious in intent.

I looked after my cousin when he was in the psych ward of our local hospital. He had discontinued his meds on his own and had a psychotic episode. The nurses, aides, social workers and everyone else in that ward were all kind, helpful and understanding with him. My cousin was 6'4" and heavy-framed, so he was kind of a scary-looking guy if you didn't know that he was a gentle person. They were just great with him and I'm sure when they discussed him, it was with the best intentions. They wanted him to get well and be able to go home.

olga

I have had people come in with spectacular things lodged in spectacular places and while yes I do comment it is not bitching or gossiping it is disbelief that it could ever get there in the first place

and do not get me started on the stories people tell when they do come in with things where they are not supposed to have them

really now do you think we believe you "sat on it" it would take a serious sit down to get something like "that" in "there"

I am always relieved when folks say nice things about nurses because we damn well do care about you!! A LOT!!!

im schizophrenic and i was wondering when you get admitted to the psych ward for whatever reason, do you think the psych nurses talk and gossip bout us as in the patients with mental illness. such as "haha that guy is crazy! what a freak" or whatever... also making fun of our bizarre behavior.. i mean the nurses are humans not machines and plus people talk!!! do you think im being paranoid or do you really think they gossip about the patients? and also they know personal stuff about you. do you think they tell other people bout the stuff they know?? just want some opinions....

Paranoid ? Yes. But if you are concerned about this, stay on your meds to avoid hospitalizations.

nf

"haha that guy is crazy! what a freak!"

No, we do not. We do say "A is having a very bad day. He's driving everyone crazy" or "A is having a very bad day. I really feel for him but there isn't much we can do" or "I just want to let you know A is having a bad day, the other people on the hall are getting really frustrated"

We HAVE to pass info along...we can't not let the other nurses and aides not know if someone is upset, or needs something, or is expecting family or got bad news or whatever. Yes, we DO express opinions about it (I feel for him or this is driving me crazy) but that is just to express our feelings, and we also have feelings about our coworkers, the doctors and the family members. Believe me or not, family members are usually the hardest to work with. They don't usually understand what goes on and what HAS to go on.

We dont' gossip in the way you imply. We're not snickering behind your back or making fun of you or hating on you. Honest. I may be feeling really stressed and mention it to my coworker, but I'm NOT sitting around gossiping about you. Really.

Work venting and gossip are two entirely different things, and nurses don't sit around going on about their psych pts all day, they are too busy taking care of them.

I have worked on and been inpatient on several psych. units and while appropriate information was passed along and there was the occasional venting moment, i think you just have issues with nurses, honestly. it's a paranoia/kind of rude to the staff who are caring for you during a time you probably most need it and are difficutlt to deal with.

Know when I am on a psych unit i am NOT the easiest patient tthere, but a long shot.

Anna

Why do you dislike the nurses in the psych ward? I'm curious.

COZ WHEN I WAS ON THE WARD THEY TREATED ME LIKE CRAP. SO IF THEY TREAT ME LIKE CRAP I CANT DO THE SAME BACK TO THEM?!?!?!?? THATS FAIR........ I HAD HORRIBLE AKATHISIA AND I COULDNT SLEEP. SO THEY TOLD ME JUST TO "RELAX" OMFG THEY SHOULD OF GIVEN ME COGENTIN BUT THEY DIDNT. NEXT DAY THEY SAID THAT IT WAS "RUDE FOR ME TO ASK FOR COGENTIN"

ALSO WHEN I CUT MYSELF ON THE WARD ONE TIME AND WAS TALKING TO ONE OF THE OTHER NURSES ABOUT PEOPLE CUTTING SHE GOES "I READ IN YOUR NOTES THAT YOU KEPT RAZORS IN YOUR ROOM" AND " I WOULD NEVER BE FRIENDS WITH SOMEONE WHO CUTS THEMSELVES" HOW IS THAT ANY OF HER BUSINESS. SHE WASNT EVEN THE NURSE WHO WAS MEANT TO LOOK AFTER ME. THEY ARE HORRRRRBILE PEOPLE AND CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT TO DO TO PEOPLE WITH MENTAL ILLNESS COZ THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT.... THEN END

Dude, Nurses are regular people. It's just a job they do to pay the bills. In case you didn't notice from the comments here we have several here as users.

This is like asking if plumbers gossip about you.

Frankly, I imagine the majority of them are overworked and underpaid and don't have the time to even find out who you are, let alone gossip about you. You're just another faceless patient pumped through the health care system for minimum cost and maximum profit.

Archived