CrazyBoards.org

Nervous Breakdown?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong area, feel free to move it to the correct spot.

Anyway, i'm quite worried. Not about myself, but my mother. My mother suffers from a pretty bad case of Panic Disorder, a long side GAD and depression. She is on xanax, efexor and another med (i'm unsure of the name, it can be used as a blood pressure pill?). Anyway, lately my mum has started showing a lot of weird symptoms. She has began to cry a lot, diarrhea a lot, barely leaves the house and is beginning to become very isolated away from everything. She says her body feels really weak, she has a lot of heart palpitations and anxiety (more than usual) and she has been having a pretty stress filled life lately, she's bee having a lot of sleeping problems and keeps having night terrors. She has once in the past had a 'Nervous Breakdown' (I was about 10 at the time, i'm 18 now) and she had a very difficult time overcoming that. She has shared with me that she is beginning the feel the same way before her Nervous Breakdown last time happened. I want to prevent her from having a breakdown again but i'm unsure how to exactly stop it? She says she is too scared to drive herself anywhere (I can't drive) but she doesn't want to have another breakdown either. I've read that therapy helps but is there a way we can prevent it without having to take her to a hospital for Psychiatric admission, she doesn't and I don't want that to happen.

So really what i'm asking is there anything we can do to prevent her from 'breaking down'?

I would call the doctor as well, and report what you are noting and let him/her take it from there.

i also need to note that we're a first person site, so we really can't give much advice on the mom situation, except as how it relates to your situation, and it sounds to me like you have enough stress on your own plate at the moment to try and be caretaking your mom so you may not be able to avoid her being hospitalized or whatever doc feels is needed.

anna

I would call the doctor as well, and report what you are noting and let him/her take it from there.

i also need to note that we're a first person site, so we really can't give much advice on the mom situation, except as how it relates to your situation, and it sounds to me like you have enough stress on your own plate at the moment to try and be caretaking your mom so you may not be able to avoid her being hospitalized or whatever doc feels is needed.

anna

I do indeed have a lot going on, and at times like this it really sucks when nearly everyone you care about is suffering pretty bad due to their MI. I have to stay strong though, for my mother. We don't have any family apart from us (and my younger brothers) in the state we live in so i'm basically her only support.

All the more reason for you to get in touch with her doctor, and use the help that is available to you. Unfortunately, "staying strong," in the way you seem to mean, isn't always an option, for those of us with MI. But we can stay strong by taking care of ourselves as best we can. Sometimes that means being aware of our own limitations. In this instance, taking care of your mother on your own might be more than you can do.

Archived