CrazyBoards.org

Obama Orders DoJ to Stop Enforcing DOMA

Well hot damn.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2011/February/11-ag-222.html

After careful consideration, including a review of my recommendation, the President has concluded that given a number of factors, including a documented history of discrimination, classifications based on sexual orientation should be subject to a more heightened standard of scrutiny. The President has also concluded that Section 3 of DOMA, as applied to legally married same-sex couples, fails to meet that standard and is therefore unconstitutional. Given that conclusion, the President has instructed the Department not to defend the statute in such cases. I fully concur with the President’s determination.

By American standards, I'm not extremely liberal (however, Europeans might look at my views as 'classically liberal'). Still, I've always believed that outlawing gay marriage would be unconstitutional.

Actually, I believe that government defining marriage (or attempting to) is unconstitutional.

However, I am all for monogamous, government-regulated civil union (which we know as the term "marriage" in the USA) for purposes of prosperity and raising children (whether natural or adopted) in a family unit, regardless of the sex of either parent. Not only is it constitutional, but it's also of high economic utility.

The remainder of the relationship, the marriage part, is up to one's emotions (i.e., love) and if applicable, spirituality and/or religion. Many churches, including some of those in Christianity, celebrate gay weddings just as they do straight ones; the union of two souls, essentially, regardless of sex.

I'm glad that President Obama has finally taken action to respect the constitution on this issue.

Archived