CrazyBoards.org

I sleep 9 hours a week..............

For seven years now i have neither felt emotion or slept a normal amount, i wake up every forty five min with my fists clenched in a cold sweat and no memory of what i dreamt about........i have no energy output and constantly feel dead.... sex doesnt even interest me and im in my early twenties my psychologist doesnt think im depressed and has tried 4 kinds of sleeping pills, lithium, xanax, and welbutrin all with no affect.............he cant even place my disorder... WHAT DO I DO?

That really sucks I'm sorry. I know you said you've tried xanax but maybe finding something to help with the anxiety over not being able to sleep could help you get some rest. I don't actually know what I'm talking about really but you could look into that- maybe a different anti-anxiety med or even therapy. Some skills/techniques could get you in a more relaxed state allowing you to sleep more.

Now this could be an absurd suggestion so if it is the mods or someone will hopefully correct me but maybe you could try an AAP (atypical anti-psychotic)? I know you don't know what your dx is. But I know that Seroquel and a few other AAPs really knock people out.

I hope shit gets better for you. Not sleeping can be the worst. Hang in there.

seroquel can be great for those who chronically cannot sleep and traditional sleeping pills don't work.

but have you tried a sleep study? You sound like someone who could really, really use one. perhaps you have sleep apnea or some other undiagnosed sleep condition and medicating this away may be not working....

Anna

i have no energy output and constantly feel dead.... sex doesnt even interest me and im in my early twenties my psychologist doesnt think im depressed

All that and your psych doesn't think you're depressed? I guess it could be all from sleep deprivation. I remember from my own depressions that sometimes I'd sleep forever, and sometimes I would hardly sleep at all. A sleep study would be good to rule out those associated problems, but I'd also get a 2nd opinion on the depression thing.

Lithium and Wellbutrin are not sleeping pills. The first is a mood stabilizer usually used for bipolar but occasionally for depression in conjunction with an antidepressant. Wellbutrin is an antidepressant, one that is activating, not such a good choice for inducing sleep. While we are at it, Xanax is a benzo meant mostly for anxiety. That one makes some sense from a sleep disorder perspective. Perhaps if you tried actual sleeping pills you would get some benefit. A few are Lunesta, Ambien, Sonata. If those don't work, there are some antidepressants that are sleep inducing for many. Trazadone is one. Remeron is another. There always is the antipsychotic Seroquel, too, but it's sort of last resort.

I'm with the others who suggested a sleep study. You could have something like sleep apnea waking you throughout the night. The solution to that is neither pills nor therapy, but a pap machine.

Lithium and Wellbutrin are not sleeping pills. The first is a mood stabilizer usually used for bipolar but occasionally for depression in conjunction with an antidepressant. Wellbutrin is an antidepressant, one that is activating, not such a good choice for inducing sleep. While we are at it, Xanax is a benzo meant mostly for anxiety. That one makes some sense from a sleep disorder perspective. Perhaps if you tried actual sleeping pills you would get some benefit. A few are Lunesta, Ambien, Sonata. If those don't work, there are some antidepressants that are sleep inducing for many. Trazadone is one. Remeron is another. There always is the antipsychotic Seroquel, too, but it's sort of last resort.

I'm with the others who suggested a sleep study. You could have something like sleep apnea waking you throughout the night. The solution to that is neither pills nor therapy, but a pap machine.

i tried both ambien and lunesta , but not sonata and my girlfriend told me that i was doing math problems out loud in my sleep one night, i really dont know what happens when i dream, but apparantly it makes me mad (sometimes i wake up yelling)

• 2 months later...

Ok, I read that wrong :(.

That still sounds like depression to me. I have ADD and Bipolar II Disorder.

I have cold sweats when I'm on medication or when it gets really hot in my room. Were you interested in sex before the past 7 years? Any bad experiences in your life?

As for energy I feel the same way but force myself to go and right now I'm on a fricken stimulant for the ADD :(. I don't get that one at all.

I would say ask him about ADD. It sounds like it could be that if not depression.

Or are you in college? Sometimes it's that, because the stress is so immense. I'm almost done with this year and already I feel more motivated and have more energy.

For seven years now i have neither felt emotion or slept a normal amount, i wake up every forty five min with my fists clenched in a cold sweat and no memory of what i dreamt about........i have no energy output and constantly feel dead.... sex doesnt even interest me and im in my early twenties my psychologist doesnt think im depressed and has tried 4 kinds of sleeping pills, lithium, xanax, and welbutrin all with no affect.............he cant even place my disorder... WHAT DO I DO?

Archived