CrazyBoards.org

Sleep phobia?

I have a question. Is there anyone else who uses CB who has a sleep phobia?

I'm unsure as to whether I have a phobia of sleep or not. I am infact scared to sleep, due to my 'delusions' with my Psychosis (I fear if I fall asleep long enough i'll be captured by the government). If I do fall asleep I usually either have night terrors relating to my Psychosis, or I wake up every 20-30 minutes. I don't toss and turn when i'm having the terrors either, nobody would know I would have them unless I told them.

So i'm wondering if anyone else has a phobia of sleep, and/or/if they feel I may or may not have one?

You need to see your primary care provider ASAP and get a referral to a psychiatrist. No one here can diagnosis you nor recommend treatment. You need intensive professional evaluation and intervention.

Each of your posts have demonstrated an escalation of signs and symptoms. I am heartily sorry you find yourself as caregiver and in need of care, but, as has already been said in order to care for anyone else you must first care for yourself.

Best wishes, Indigo

It is true that you need to see a psychiatrist.

But, i just thought i'd answer your post. I have some sort of sleep phobia, although i don't get bad dreams as much due to medicaiton. I still have times where i would be afraid to sleep due to night terrors/ vivid nightmares. These nightmares are common in PTSD and also other anxiety disorders.

I know I need to see a doctor, i'm in the midst of trying to find another. I was just simply asking for everyone elses opinion on the matter.

yupp, but youre not alone in your sleep phobia, especially when i was on the heavily sedating medicaiton seroquel, i would be afraid to fall asleep as my neck would spazz out before i went to sleep, and have strange nightmares.

I used to stay up late or all night to listen for sounds outside just to make sure no one was stalking outside my house plotting to kill me at night. I also wanted surveillance cameras for security. I was just paranoid because of the wrong medication, though. I went off and now I'm not so worried about it and nothing bad has happened.

My brother used to sleep in different places every night to confuse aliens so they wouldn't find him and abduct him. Maybe if you find a place that seems safe, it would be easier to sleep? When I was really paranoid people were plotting against me, I felt safer sleeping on the floor of the closet because it was less out in the open than my room and protected on 3 sides and farther in the interior of the house so it would be harder to aim through windows and shoot me there. Maybe there's somewhere or someway to sleep that would help a little?

I used to stay up late or all night to listen for sounds outside just to make sure no one was stalking outside my house plotting to kill me at night. I also wanted surveillance cameras for security. I was just paranoid because of the wrong medication, though. I went off and now I'm not so worried about it and nothing bad has happened.

My brother used to sleep in different places every night to confuse aliens so they wouldn't find him and abduct him. Maybe if you find a place that seems safe, it would be easier to sleep? When I was really paranoid people were plotting against me, I felt safer sleeping on the floor of the closet because it was less out in the open than my room and protected on 3 sides and farther in the interior of the house so it would be harder to aim through windows and shoot me there. Maybe there's somewhere or someway to sleep that would help a little?

yah it's funny i can only sleep with a fan, at night. but in the afternoon /noontime, i can only sleep without a fan. im very quirky like that.

and altho i try to dodge people's glances and look around sometimes in the room, feeling like someone is watching me my each and every move, each and every particle of skin and sweat on my body. i know this sounds weird, but when i sweat i get somewhat paranoid, like someone will think eww or something. so going to the gym, is kind of a bothersome thing for me. hence my penchant for getting botox, to treat (amongst other things) my headaches.

but mostly i ward off those bad thoughts with manic actions, like drinking energy drinks, demonstrative behavior, obnoxious behavior, sarcasm. and then irritability gets throw into the mix, and seldomly agitation

kind of like charlie sheen in a way but less winning.

I think it would be much more productive to deal with the paranoia. Living in such fear of being abducted by aliens that you have to sleep in a different place every night doesn't sound like a good life to me.

he's not afraid of aliens that much anymore though. He actually sleeps in his bed in his room every night now. A psychic medium came to our house once and said she sensed an alien vortex in front of his closet once, but he still doesn't seem to afraid anymore, even though he said he sensed it there too in the same place. Anyways, at least the psychic said the aliens weren't evil. They were just passing through to travel to another universe for unknown reasons. I think that was just a phase when he was younger. When I was a kid, I was afraid a bushbaby/aye aye would pick my nose if I fell asleep at night and they have scary looking fingers and eyes.

How much younger? And why in the world would you believe anything a psychic medium says?

I stand by my original statement. Paranoia should be treated, not given into.

ive actual had a recent experience with this, as i have been taking gabapentin, trilafon, and artane to sleep, and it makes me soo drowsy that i actually fear that heavy feeling you get before you sleep, so much so that i feel like i would be crushed, by something anyone. maybe it is paranoia, or maybe it is a physical thing, im not sure, but from now on, if i want to get sleep, i hafta accept the heavey sinking feeling.

but when u look into lives of celebrities you hear of people getting drugs, and taking a whole bunch and falling asleep, and even less powerful drugs than seroquel, it just makes me paranoid, thinking im gonna OD, adnd just die. so it basically scares the shit outta me

I had severe sleep phobia as a child due to nightmare disorder... constant recurring theme of some assorted demons of doom dragging me down to their lair when I least expected it. I never slept a solid night through until I was in my twenties. Not one single freakin night without a mid-night awakening, usually from a dream, frightening or otherwise (and sometimes acted out!).

I guess as I "grew out of it", my nightmares just took on the tone of constant and vivid but benign dreams, but my quality of sleep suffered and I still awoke frequently, and after a bout with meningitis, I started frequently acting out my dreams (REM behavioral disorder), which caused me to at least once run face-first into a wall.

The docs eventually fixed the problem a couple weeks ago by putting me on clonidine (a blood pressure med that tells your neurotransmitters to get out of the synapses and go f--- themselves temporarily for the 8-10 hours after you take it).

Nonetheless, your problem seems primarily due to psychosis, and I would definitely be discussing the idea that you are still having psychotic issues the next time you see your pdoc.

ive actual had a recent experience with this, as i have been taking gabapentin, trilafon, and artane to sleep, and it makes me soo drowsy that i actually fear that heavy feeling you get before you sleep, so much so that i feel like i would be crushed, by something anyone. maybe it is paranoia, or maybe it is a physical thing, im not sure, but from now on, if i want to get sleep, i hafta accept the heavey sinking feeling.

but when u look into lives of celebrities you hear of people getting drugs, and taking a whole bunch and falling asleep, and even less powerful drugs than seroquel, it just makes me paranoid, thinking im gonna OD, adnd just die. so it basically scares the shit outta me

You aren't going to OD if you take your meds as prescribed.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't prazosin another blood pressure med, used for nightmares? correct me if im wrong.

Yep. Although I don't think it's as effective at telling your neurotransmitters to STFU at night (could be wrong, but hey). Clonidine is what works for me, personally. I need my neurotransmitters knocked out for some non-PTSD dreamless sleep (and it doesn't hurt that it also counteracts the daytime blood pressure elevation from my methylphenidate... 160/100 is not somewhere you want to be 24/7!).

Isn't prazosin another blood pressure med, used for nightmares? correct me if im wrong.

Yep. Although I don't think it's as effective at telling your neurotransmitters to STFU at night (could be wrong, but hey). Clonidine is what works for me, personally. I need my neurotransmitters knocked out for some non-PTSD dreamless sleep (and it doesn't hurt that it also counteracts the daytime blood pressure elevation from my methylphenidate... 160/100 is not somewhere you want to be 24/7!).

yeah i got my bp done yesterday and it was about that number, they did it 3 times. and it rounded off to that number, or a little below it. Time to really effectively treat the blood pressure this time, I kept trying to tell my doctor last time i was there. But he was like that's not a treatment option yet. but for some reason my blood pressure gets lower sometimes in the offices(white-coat hypotension)

When things were at their worst, I was afraid of sleep. I just *knew* that the second I fell asleep, something horrible would happen and I would die. Nevermind the fact that during every waking hour I was desperately wishing for death.... Oh, the irony.

Good luck finding a pdoc. Hope you find a good one soon and can get this sorted out. Sleep is ridiculously important!!

I had a similar experience with paranoia and refusal to sleep (though my 'paranoia' was actual true reality based). When I was in hospital a few years ago, the nurses wanted me dead (well, one more than the others) and I was convinced that if I went to sleep, the night staff would kill me. And there was nowhere safe I could go either because I was then homeless :(.

But I do know from experience that sleep deprivation makes psychosis much worse. By time that I was rehoused and able to leave the hospital, my voices were really annoying the shit out of me.

So I would definitely get help with this one, sooner rather than later.

Archived