CrazyBoards.org

Hi all,

Can I get some perspective from the Bipolar II's? I have never been diagnosed as such, but am really starting to wonder, as my "anxiety" symptoms and OCD/depression are not resolving with my current coctail. What generally happens is that I will feel better from anywhere from 2 days to 3 weeks, then go downhill again. When I feel bad, I start ruminating about every little thing, and have obsessive thoughts of suicide/self-harm which cause me severe anxiety. (I have diagnosed OCD, and one of my fears is that I will "go crazy" and kill myself.) I can often tell it is going to be a "bad" day right when I wake up in the morning, though sometimes I have days that I switch moods in the middle. On my "good" days, I do like to do lots of things--go out to eat, go shopping, clean the house, etc. I do spend too much money, as I like to shop, but I have always been that way. I don't buy major things, just mostly bum around thrift stores. My sleep is generally pretty good. Does this sound at all like it could be a Bipolar II? I am wondering if a mood stabilizer will help me feel better. Any thoughts are appreciated.

When I feel bad, I start ruminating about every little thing, and have obsessive thoughts of suicide/self-harm which cause me severe anxiety.

This sounds like me in a bipolar depression, as opposed to me in a regular depression when I don't have the barrage of thinking, just blah. I can't diagnose you, but I can say it reminds me of my bipolar states. Good luck! - Wendy

My diagnoses are OCD, Anxiety/Panic and Depression... I did have an event once where 40mg of Prozac put me into a hypomanic episode, but I was fine when it was decreased, so they said i wasn't a "true" bipolar. Currently, I am taking 5mg of Prozac, 5mg of Buspar in the AM and 10mg at bedtime, and 25mg of Seroquel at bedtime. I can only tolerate small amounts of any serotonin agent since the serotonin syndrome...I can't figure any trigger for the change in moods. I had 3 weeks that were really good! I mean, I didn't feel spectacularly phenomenal, but I was better than now. The suicidal ideation is so awful! It terrifies me to have thoughts like that, and I can't control it....I don't think I would ever hurt myself, but the thoughts are so frightening. I don't know if this is OCD, depression, panic, or possibly a mixed episode??

No telling, really. Stacia's suggestion is good.

What are you on?

Do you know what triggers the shifts in mood?

See my signature on the change in my dx from MDD recurrent to BP II. A mood stabilizer (Lamictal) is the best thing that's ever happened to me in terms of MI treatment. I've never been manic or hypomanic, but whether or not I'm on the bipolar spectrum, a mood stabilizer has made a huge difference.

My depressive episodes were all 'atypical', where I slept too much and ate too much, as opposed to waking up in the middle of the night and not eating. Especially since Prozac sent you into hypomania, I think a mood stabilizer might help you. When's your next pdoc visit?

hi im a psychologist who works for the NHS, i also have bipolar 1. bipolar is a huge mixed bag. god i feel for you but getting a diagnosis is vital because then you can get the right help. do your high moods last longer than a week or just a few days? one piece of advice i have got to give, and feel like i have to but the NHS is shit!!!!! trust me i work for them! if you can afford it go privately, you pay for them to listen. your gp will refer you tell them, don't ask. take charge. it took me ten years to get diagnosed and 3 years to decide to go on lithium. im saved, im me again, please try and be proactive and good luck x

Archived