CrazyBoards.org

Psychosis or Mania?

Guest Vapourware

As mentioned, you can have mania with psychosis so if the psychosis occurred during the mania, then your diagnosis is likely to be bipolar with psychotic features. If you have mood episodes and psychosis but the psychosis occurs independent of the moods as well, then your diagnosis is likely to be schizoaffective. If there's no mood episodes then it could be schizophrenia or psychosis NOS. I guess the best way of sorting out whether or not you are having mood episodes now is through mood tracking and journaling, so that you have a record as a reference.

Sorry if this is an old post but I am unsure if I have psychosis or mania as my pdoc says there not sure atm. Is there a major difference between them.

I'm not an expert but as far as i'm aware in psychiatric terms you can't be classified as clinically manic without also being psychotic, without psychosis it's hypomania. Short and sweet of it: Mania is a type of psychosis.

In my opinion if you have to ask then you probably weren't and honestly it's best not to get caught up in this kind of speculation. Just leave it at "Was there a mood element?" Again i'm no doctor but it's possible the Abilify isn't working too well and is activating you, it can do that and 20mg isn't exactly a lightweight dose, especially with 2mg of Risperdal as well.

Guest Vapourware

Not exactly, you can be in a manic state without being psychotic. You can become manic enough to become psychotic, but being manic doesn't necessarily mean you are psychotic.

Not exactly, you can be in a manic state without being psychotic. You can become manic enough to become psychotic, but being manic doesn't necessarily mean you are psychotic.

I stand corrected, I remember now it's based off how much your behaviour differs from your norm.

What you are describing sounds like mania in the past, and if your family are concerned about your moods, you may well be manic enough to be psychotic.

sleeping 7 hours on a benzo isn't exactly 'good sleep" especially on top of a bunch of AAPs. I'd say looking at mood stabilizers might not be a bad idea. If it were me, I'd be talking to pdoc about that.

Anna

If you are still hallucinating and manic, you need to be honest with your p-doc. You say you don't want to take more pills? Right now you are taking pills, and it isn't working, so why is it okay to take pills that are useless? Why is one more pill more daunting to you than mania or psychosis?

You need to be honest with your p-doc, this isn't a contest to how few pills you can take. You have been diagnosed with a serious illness, with a 20% mortality rate.

Sorry if this is an old post but I am unsure if I have psychosis or mania as my pdoc says there not sure atm. Is there a major difference between them.

I'm not an expert but as far as i'm aware in psychiatric terms you can't be classified as clinically manic without also being psychotic, without psychosis it's hypomania. Short and sweet of it: Mania is a type of psychosis.

No, it isn't. Differences between mania and hypomania are more to do with severity and duration of symptoms than with the presence or absence of the single set of psychotic symptoms.

If psychosis is present, it's definitely mania. But its absence doesn't rule mania out.

What you are describing sounds like mania in the past, and if your family are concerned about your moods, you may well be manic enough to be psychotic.

sleeping 7 hours on a benzo isn't exactly 'good sleep" especially on top of a bunch of AAPs. I'd say looking at mood stabilizers might not be a bad idea. If it were me, I'd be talking to pdoc about that.

Anna

Thanks. I really don't wan't to take anymore medication. I don't like to tell the pdoc too much cause last time they put me into hospital for two weeks.

Well, do you want to be able to have a functional, independent life? If you're psychotic and/or manic, you won't be able to do so. If you don't tell your pdoc what's going on, he or she can't possibly help you get any better.

Right now, it sounds like you should focus on getting your psychotic symptoms under better control. If you're still seeing aliens, either your dosage is too low, or you aren't on the right med. What you're describing sounds to non-MD me a lot like mania, but it sounds like your doctor's holding off on making that call until you're more lucid.

Archived