CrazyBoards.org

When on MEDS how do you know if you should keep upping?

You dont really know.. you just decide that your depressive symptoms are still worth the risk of more side effects and you try a higher dose.

Right now my depressive symptoms are still present and an extra 25mg zoloft has just made me more irritable. Im debating 125, or back down to 75. Its hard to say which would help. Risk more irritability or back off to where I had less?

The only way you can make the picture clearer is by logging your mood, sleep and physical activity levels.

for me the biggest benefit I got from AD's was the ability to go back to the gym and try to reclaim my endurance level from chronic fatigue. The relief isnt perfect, but at least Im not freaking out on people or gaining massive amounts of weight. =(

Here is a link on how to know if your meds are working. It's about bipolar, but I think a lot of it could fit for depression.

http://bipolar.about.com/cs/faqs/f/faq_medswork.htm

I don't know if I have the best "cocktail" of meds for me, but I guess it's good enough for now. My pdoc doesn't want to tweak them anymore, so I can have some consistency. Does your pdoc think your meds need adjusting?

Guest Vapourware

I find that it's not so much about "happiness" that determines whether your meds need upping, because happiness is hard to quantify, but whether or not you are feeling stable and functional. For me, it means whether or not I can do everyday things like self-care, whether or not I have the motivation to go outside and think about projects, and whether or not I can work without my symptoms interfering with my life.

I agree with Anna and Sylvan

When I'm still way crazy, I start to think "maybe this IS normal, maybe it'll never be better than this" but when I hit that magic spot where I ACTUALLY feel normal, I know it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am on 30mg celexa and just started 150mg wellbutrin about 2 wks ago. Went to talk about how I was feeling on wednesday.

She asked how I felt.....I did feel my mood was better but I feel like I would like to feel better then just better. Know what I mean?? Then we talked about side effect ect.

I was feeling a bit twitchy and a tad anxious. So, we decided to wait on upping since it was only 2wks on wellbutrin. It's funny how much I have changed only in the past few days.....I feel a bit blue again..

I feel like anxiousness has subsided too. now i wish I'd upped it. Maybe I will see how the next few days go then call her.

You know you're at the right dose when you stop thinking about whether your meds are right. It does happen. I got by on 10 mg Lexapro and occasional Xanax, for several years. During that time I didn't think much about my meds, just took them like a daily vitamin. Good luck finding your right dose.

Archived