CrazyBoards.org

I've been taking Seroquel since 2/10 for anxiety. But i dont like it. im to afraid of it because its originally for people with schitzo & bipolar & i dont want that to happen to me from taking this Med! I started taking 50mg AM & 100mg PM for 3 days.

Then 50mg AM/ 50mg PM for another couple days.. But on the 17th i started only taking it at night because it made me to drowzy in the day! Last night i cut the 50mg caplet in half because i want to start weaning myself off of it.... Any advice?

- I take xanax 0.25mg 3 times a day & that helps

im to afraid of it because its originally for people with schitzo & bipolar & i dont want that to happen to me from taking this Med! I started taking 50mg AM & 100mg PM for 3 days.

Doesn't really work like that, You can't catch a disease because you took the medication for it.

When I was at a higher dose of seroquel I took it all at night, Taking it in the morning makes for a sleepy and slightly dopey me.

You can't catch an illness by taking a medication!!!!

#1. Call your doctor/pdoc. Tell him what you have done and explain your concerns. It is not good to do med changes on your own (ask me!).

2. I would encourage you to stay on Seroquel. It is a very good med and you should quickly get accustomed to it and be less sleepy. Perhaps your doc can reduce the dosage until you, become used to it.

When I was first diagnosed I too started on Seroquel and was surprised by the sleepiness. Once I got over that I liked it.

Hope you feel better soon.

a.m.

Just like they said, taking an antipsychotic if you're not psychotic won't turn you into someone with psychosis. Antipsychotics aren't just used on people living with Psychosis, the lower doses like you're on a usually used as a sleeping aid/sedative.

If you're unhappy with the medication, I would talk to your doc about changing. Don't change on your own either, it can turn out bad. Seroquel is a great medication, one of the only i've been on that's actually helped me (even thought it's not a drastic help, it helps me sleep which is something).

Seroquel is wonderful. In the psych ward I was in they gave a low dose to everyone at night so they could sleep, even if they weren't on the drug for any mood/psychosis reasons.

I've been on it for 3 years and I was on it before I was even diagnosed with bipolar II, as it stabilizes my mood as well.

It really is a great medication.

Guest Vapourware

Being afraid of catching a condition because you take medication prescribed for them is one of the more inane ideas I've heard about medication here. It's not possible to become schizophrenic or bipolar from medication. There are plenty of drugs out there that have multiple purposes and Seroquel is one of them.

You shouldn't be taking yourself off the medication. Speak to your doctor about your concerns about drowsiness and see if the dosage can be adjusted. If you are finding taking it during the daytime too drowsy, perhaps take all of the dosage at night.

Your first post referred to anxiety - is that why you were in the ER? Why were you not referred onwards to a psychiatrist after that? To me it sounds very strange that you'd go there and be sent away with a bunch of seroquel without any steps taken to make sure that you'd get follow-up care. I also think that seroquel is a pretty heavy duty drug for it to be handed out just for "anxiety" in an ER. And who prescribed the xanax you say you're taking? Is there more going on here that you're not telling us?

They don't hand out psych meds in the ER let alone without referrals to follow up care.

That's exactly true in my country... I've wound up in the ER for lithium toxicity 3x over the years that I've been taking it, and they had no idea what to do with me - the doctors actually had to read up on the appropriate course of treatment. And none of them had ever heard of epitec (the lamictal generic I take) or seroquel. Of course, I freely admit that I'm just going on my own experience, and things might well be different elsewhere, but I still feel that there's something not quite right about what we're being told here.

Archived