CrazyBoards.org

Can vitimin deficincies cause psychosis?

I read here that folate acid could cause psychosis but I'm not sure if it is a legitamte source.

</h2>

<h2>Vitamin deficiency

Vitamin deficiencies that may be associated with psychosis include:

• Folate deficiency
  • Vitamin B12 deficiency
  • Niacin deficiency
  • Chronic thiamine deficiency.

Assuming that the link is legitimate, I'm going to have to assume that you would had to have been severely deficient (read: almost no folate in your body) for a very long time for that to occur. Perhaps one of our nurse members could chime in. Also assuming you're in an industrialized nation and have drank a glass of orange juice or eaten a bowl of cereal within the last year, it's unlikely that the level of deficiency that would be needed to cause psychosis would have happened to you.

I'd ask your doc about this, if you're concerned.

The most likely thing is you have a mental illness brought on by genetics, which requires treatment from antipsychotics.

The most likely thing is you have a mental illness brought on by genetics, which requires treatment from antipsychotics.

That is probably the case. Though, no one in my family past or present has had this illness. I am just trying to rule out other things. I will have a chat with my GP.

I read here that folate acid could cause psychosis but I'm not sure if it is a legitamte source.

</h2>

<h2>Vitamin deficiency

Vitamin deficiencies that may be associated with psychosis include:

• Folate deficiency
  • Vitamin B12 deficiency
  • Niacin deficiency
  • Chronic thiamine deficiency.

I don't know the answer, but I think it's definitely worth checking out. I wonder if it plays into my issues. I know I am low on those things (not sure about thiamine0. Let us know what you find out!

If you're working with a gp to manage a psychotoc disorder, you should really consider switching to a psychiatrist.

I do have a psychiatrist but when it comes to health matters like my folate I use my GP. Surely he must know if it could be causing it? I also seem to be having reccurant UTI's which I heard could be the cause behind psychosis.

• 1 month later...

Some labs are aware that a "normal" reading may not be a good value. This lab was Quest Diagnostics in Baltimore, MD. There was an interesting note attached to the B12 section of the blood test: B12 XXX pg/mL (200 - 1100)

Quote: Please note: Although the reference range for Vitamin B12 is 200-1100 pg/mL, it has been reported that between 5 and 10% of patients with values between 200 and 400 pg/mL may experience neuropsychiatric and hematologic abnormalities due to occult B12 deficiency, less than 1% of patients with values above 400 pg/mL will have symptoms.

Japan has raised the minimum value above this level.

http://en.wikipedia...._B12_deficiency

Quote: Some researchers propose that the current standard norms of vitamin B12 levels are too low. In Japan, the lowest acceptable level for vitamin B12 in blood has been raised from about 200 pg/ml (145 pM) to 550 pg/ml (400 pM).

http://www.perniciou...6f4b6afb0ade07f

My b12 was at 260 pg/ml 6 months prior to my psychosis. I'm not sure about the truth to this?

Archived