CrazyBoards.org

OCD or Suicidal Ideation?

I have OCD, Anxiety/Panic, and Depression...Lately, I have been having horrific intrusive thoughts about self harm. At times they cause me severe anxiety, but other times I am able to just let the thoughts pass because I know I would never do something like that. But in the past 2 days, I have been really freaking out about this. "What if I am suicidal? I do hate living with this roller coaster of anxiety and depression, so am I suicidal? Do I want to die?" Other thoughts along these lines too...Then I get worried that I could "go crazy" and kill myself and my whole family! Is this another manifestation of my OCD, or could I be suicidal? How can you tell the difference?

Sounds like some harsh OCD and anxiety going on. That "What if" thinking is classic of anxiety. I have a lot of "What if" thinking as well. It's not easy to live with. Are you on any anxiety meds? Sounds like you could use some or use some tweaking of the ones you are on (if you are on some). I would place a call in to your pdoc too unless you have an appointment coming up in a few days. This sounds like horrible obsessive/anxious thinking. I feel for you. Do call your pdoc!

Oh I am glad you get to see your pdoc on monday! Do make sure to tell him about these troubling thoughts! Maybe you can start taking xanax regularly. Just a thought. I take klonopin on a regular basis and I can't tell you how much it has helped. I still have extreme anxiety, but not nearly as bad as it was before the klonopin.

Also, you're only on 5mg Prozac? That is a very small dose, are the side effects what's keeping it that so low? I'm on 80mg, the maximum dosage, but for OCD even more than the maximum recommended amount on antidepressants is supposedly helpful.

That's just what I was going to say. My pdoc says 20 mg of Prozac is the typical dose for depression, 60 mg for anxiety, and 80 or 100 mg for compulsions/OCD. On 10 mg of Prozac I noticed no difference in my MI at all.

I agree with the other posters. An increased dose of prozac may be helpful. Time to talk to your p-doc about dosage options.

Suicidal ideation really sucks. I get it too. Clinical obsessions (whether about suicide or otherwise) often play upon the values of the individual. ie you might abhor violence and then get a lot of intrusive thoughts about violent activity. It may involve you, it may not.

It is good that you are thinking about the thoughts, trying to rationalise them. This is a positive sign. It sounds like you have quite a high degree of self awareness as to your intrusive thoughts and clinical obsessions.

Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Answering your ? isn't the answer. Going to get on a SSRI that will lesson the OCD theme and ERP for when you have the spikes and you can get over them. It took my last spike a month to get over so I understand where your coming from.

Archived