CrazyBoards.org

Greeting everyone. I have recently started taking Fanapt because Zyprexa made me gain quite a bit of weight, and I was wondering if Fanapt causes significant weight gain, and what are some experiences with people who are on Fanapt. Has it worked successfully for anyone without causing much side effects? and I was also wondering if it was covered by Medicaid. Thanks for any and all replies! I am currently taking 8mg of Fanapt a day.

You will have to check your states' medicaid program, since each is different. Sorry don't have any info on Fanapt

UPDATE: From http://www.rxlist.com/

Quick summary: Average gain, 4.5lbs in 4-6 weeks study.

Weight Gain

Based on the pooled data from the four placebo-controlled, 4- or 6-week, fixed- or flexible-dose studies, the proportions of patients having a weight gain of ≥ 7% body weight was 12% for FANAPT 10-16 mg/day, 18% for FANAPT 20-24 mg/day, and 13% for FANAPT (combined doses) versus 4% for placebo. The mean weight change from baseline to endpoint in the short-term studies was -0.1 kg for placebo versus 2.0 kg for FANAPT-treated patients. Across all short- and long-term studies, the overall mean change from baseline at endpoint was 2.1 kg

You will have to check your states' medicaid program, since each is different. Sorry don't have any info on Fanapt

UPDATE: From http://www.rxlist.com/

Quick summary: Average gain, 4.5lbs in 4-6 weeks study.

Weight Gain

Based on the pooled data from the four placebo-controlled, 4- or 6-week, fixed- or flexible-dose studies, the proportions of patients having a weight gain of ≥ 7% body weight was 12% for FANAPT 10-16 mg/day, 18% for FANAPT 20-24 mg/day, and 13% for FANAPT (combined doses) versus 4% for placebo. The mean weight change from baseline to endpoint in the short-term studies was -0.1 kg for placebo versus 2.0 kg for FANAPT-treated patients. Across all short- and long-term studies, the overall mean change from baseline at endpoint was 2.1 kg

Thanks for the info! I guess weight gain is possible with Fanapt. Hopefully it wont be as bad as with the Zyprexa. How would I be able to check if Fanapt is covered by medicaid in my state? I live in Texas.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I'm new to the board and to this topic.

I just started taking Fanapt two days ago and have been having a really fast heartbeat along with nasal congestion. I am bipolar, rapid cycler.

I went to the local Stat-Care and they told me not to be worried since my heartbeat was only 95, and to be concerned if it was in the 100's. 60-80 is normal she said.

So, she said to continue to take the med and get adjusted to it, unless if I have shortness of breath or pains in my chest.

I left a message with the nurse with my pdoc but got no response today and was upset.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Archived